Meetings can be with one team member or with a group, through a chat, a channel or within the Teams Calendar. NOTE: Your Teams calendar syncs with your Exchange calendar or Outlook calendar.
Creating a New meeting in a Channel
When you have a meeting in a channel, everyone in the team will be able to see it and join it in the channel.
- While in a Channel, click the drop-down arrow to the right of the channel window and then choose Schedule a meeting.
[Dropdown arrow next to Meet and Schedule a meeting highlighted]
The New meeting window appears and has similar features to a new meeting in Outlook. Such as: Scheduling Assistant/Response Options/Busy times/Recurrence and Time Zone to name a few.
To Invite those who are outside of your organization:
- Type their full email address on the Add required attendees line and their name will be listed below for you to click to invite them. Their address appears in the invite area.
- Repeat step 1 to invite all those who are outside of RPI (organization).
[Add required attendees option highlighted]
2. Complete the meeting information and then click Save. This will close the scheduling form and send an invite to everyone.
Creating a New meeting in a Chat
- While in a Chat, click the Schedule a meeting icon on the bottom toolbar and a new meeting form appears.
[Schedule a meeting icon highlighted on the bottom message bar]
- Complete the meeting information and then click Send.
Create a meeting from the Teams Calendar
- Click the Calendar icon from the left navigation bar.
- Locate the date/time and then click New meeting located in the upper right corner.
- Complete the meeting information and then click Send.
Once you have access to teams you will see a Teams Meeting icon appear on your Outlook new meeting toolbar, so you can start a Teams meeting right from Outlook.
[Teams Meeting icon highlighted on the Outlook Ribbon]
Join a Teams Meeting
There are many ways to join a Teams meeting.
From the Teams application
- From your Calendar, click once on the meeting, select Join.
[Join button highlighted in the My calendar window]
- Choose your video and audio options you want.
- Select Join now.
From the Web
- Open your email invite and click Join Microsoft Teams Meeting.
- Choose to Download the Windows Team app or to Join on the Web.
- Type your name.
- Choose the video and audio options.
- Click Join now.
The Meet now option starts an impromptu meeting. This feature is available within the Teams and Calendar icon. Once the meeting starts you can add a subject and members.
[Meet now highlighted in Teams and Calendar]
Hosting a Meeting
- Once you start your meeting you will see the following screen. Choose the audio and video settings you want. This is also where you can select a background and what device you are using to connect to the meeting.
[Background filters option and Custom Setup highlighted under video and audio option screen]
Once you make all the selections, click Join now.
Most of these features are similar to other online meeting apps.
[Meeting toolbar with many options to choose like: chat, raise hand, react emojis, views, etc.]
Sharing Content during a Meeting
- Click the Share icon from the meeting toolbar. There are several ways to share content, change Presenter modes and Add a background.
[Share content window showing presenter mode, screens, windows options]
Select what you want to share:
▪ Desktop – will show everything on your screen. NOTE: Make sure that you have nothing confidential on your desktop.
▪ Window - lets you show a specific app and specific document (Word/Excel etc.) that is currently open on your computer.
▪ PowerPoint - Shows a presentation.
▪ Browse - Find the file you want to show.
2. After you select what you want to show, a red border surrounds what you're sharing.
Record and transcribe
- Click the More icon and then choose Record and transcribe and then Start recording.
[Start recording and record and transcribe highlighted under the more icon]
In the upper left of the meeting screen you will see the timer starting and a red circle showing that the meeting is being recorded as well as a dialog box on the screen stating that the Recording has started.
[Meeting timer and recording has started dialog boxes]
2. To stop recording, click the More icon and then choose Record and transcribe à Stop recording.
[Red dot showing stop recording along with record and transcribe button and Meeting info]
3. A Stop recording dialog box appears on the screen, click Stop.
[Stop button highlighted on the stop recording dialog box]
The Saving the recording… dialog box appears on the screen letting you know that the recording link will be added to the chat window.
The recording has been added to the Chat window.
[Chat window showing the meeting was added]
Meeting info (send a meeting link after joining)
Click the More icon and then choose Meeting info.
The Meeting info appears on the right side of the screen.
2. Click Copy join info button you will see a message appear on the button that states this meeting link was Copied to the clipboard for you to paste to an email, or chat room, etc.
Click the More icon and then choose Meeting Notes.
Click the Take notes button.
A Notes windows appears in the Chat area to start taking notes on the meeting.
[Meeting Notes tab showing Notes for a Test meeting]
Changing the background effects during the meeting
Click the More icon and then choose Background effects.
[More options with Background effects highlighted]
2. Choose a background and then click the Apply button at the bottom of this window.
Settings - Device settings
Click the More icon and then choose Settings à Device settings.
The Device settings windows appears on the right.
[Device settings options]
Settings can be changed on:
- Auto devices – picks up your primary audio device, Speaker and Microphone from the drop-down menu.
- Speakers – can change whether you are using the speakers or headset.
- Microphone Array – Tests the sensitivity of the microphone to make sure you are being heard.
- Noise suppression - can be set to Auto (Default), High, Low, or Off.
- Camera – video devices will be listed in the dropdown menu.
Breakout rooms allows a place where small groups can have open discussions, exchange of ideas, and brainstorming sessions.
Only meeting organizers on the desktop versions of Teams (Windows and Mac) can create and manage breakout rooms. NOTE: Organizers or presenters must first join the meeting to create or manage breakout rooms
You can automatically assign people to breakout rooms when you create them. After they have been created, you can move people around, but you'll have to do so manually.
NOTE: These features aren't currently available in breakout rooms:
· Adding people to the meeting from the participant's panel
· Adding additional people to the meeting chat
· Copying the Join meeting info
Important: You can't create breakout rooms if there are more than 300 people in a meeting. Likewise, if you create breakout rooms before a meeting, you won't be able to invite more than 300 people.
Go to the link below to learn more about breakout rooms:
Leave or End the Meeting
Click Leave located on the right side from the meeting toolbar and choose Leave or End meeting.
- Click End.
Other Meeting types
Under the New meeting drop-down there are more options such as: Live event, Webinar, Lecture and Class. Links are included below to learn more about these options.
[Meetings types from the drop down menu: Schedule meeting, Live event, Webinar, Lecture]
To Learn More about:
Live event - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/schedule-a-teams-live-event-7a9ce97c-e1cd-470f-acaf-e6dfc179a0e2
Webinar - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/get-started-with-teams-webinars-42f3f874-22dc-4289-b53f-bbc1a69013e3
Lecture and Class – Opens a new meeting window and includes lecture options on the right.
[New Meeting window with lecture/class option highlighted on the left side]
Article is closed for comments.