Siemens NX is an advanced, integrated CAD/CAE/CAM software package.
This guide describes how to install NX on a user's device pursuant to the license agreement.
- The NX software cannot be used for commercial purposes.
- You cannot distribute the NX software to anyone.
- The NX software must be removed from your computer when you leave the Rensselaer community.
1. Before you are allowed to access the installation media for this software, you must use the Software
Licensing Tool to agree to the software's licensing terms. Click the link provided and follow the
prompts. Once you have read the licensing terms and/if you have agreed to them, you will receive two
e-mails, the first to confirm your acceptance of the licensing agreement and the second to confirm that
access to the software library has been granted. Please wait until you receive that second e-mail before
continuing with these instructions.
2. Be sure you are connected to the RPI network - either via WiFi on campus or VPN off campus.
3. Search for “This PC” in the windows search bar.
(Using the Windows Search Function to Look for This PC)
4. Hit Enter
5. Select Computer > Map Network Drive
(File Explorer to select This PC and Map Network Drive)
6. Type in \\arc-fs4.win.rpi.edu\software\siemens\nx\NX
7. Select Connect using different credentials, Select Finish
(Mapping the Arc-fs4 server for siemens NX and checking connect using different credentials)
8. Enter your RCS USERID preceded by win\, your RCS password, and then Select OK
(Windows Security Prompt to enter your RCS ID and password)
NOTE: if an error occurs, check the following:
a) Internet connection
b) VPN connection if off-campus
c) You have received the 2nd email from the Help Desk
d) Contact the help desk if there is still an issue
9. Right select the ZIP folder that begins with SiemensNX-####.zip
a. The #### will be the campus latest version number
(Right click the Siemens folder in the Arc-fs4 server)
10. Select OK if prompted with a Windows Security alert
(Windows security alert)
11. Select Copy
(Copying SiemensNX Zip file)
12. Paste to the Desktop.
(Finding the path to the desktop to paste the file)
(pasting the Zip file on the desktop)
a. If you are unsure how to access the Desktop, select the Windows Key and type “file explorer” and hit Enter.
b. If Desktop icon is not shown, in the address bar, type “desktop” and hit Enter.
c. Allow a few minutes for this folder to copy and paste.
13. Right-select the pasted folder > Select Extract All…
(Extracting the Zip file to access the contents fully)
14. Check Show extracted files when complete. Select Extract
(Checking show extracted files when complete to display the files once complete)
15. Double select Launch.exe in the explorer window that opens when extraction is complete
(Launch the .exe file to open SiemensNX)
16. Select Install NX
(Install NX using the Software installation Client)
17. Select English, Select OK
(Select Language for the installation)
18. Select Next
(Select Next on the SiemensNX Setup Wizard)
19. Leave the default location as-is.
20. It is recommended to install only items you need for the course in which you are enrolled. See the grid at the following link for custom options:
(Selecting what to install for products in Siemens)
b. Enter your RCS ID and password for access.
21. To remove a feature, select “Entire feature will be unavailable”
(How to remove a feature screen)
22. Select Next when customizations are complete
23. Type in the following license server: firstname.lastname@example.org then select Next
(Entering the License server for licensing)
24. Select English, then Next (Allow several minutes for installation.)
(Language Selector for SiemensNX)
25. Select Install
(Ready to install SiemensNX)
26. Select Yes if prompted by Windows Security to proceed with the installation.
(User account control to allow Siemens to make changes)
27. Select Finish
(Setup Wizard has completed, Finish the installation)
28. Select Exit to close the Installation window.
(Exit the installation window)
Adding the License Modules
29. Close NX if it is open/running. You can double check it is closed by using task manager ( CTRL + ALT + DEL, or right click the task bar)
30. Hit the Windows Key or select the Windows Search bar and search for “Tool – Licensing Tool”.
(Using the search function to find the Licensing Tool)
31. Select Environment Settings then select Edit
(Editing the License server under Environment Settings)
32. Type email@example.com if it is not already there
33. Select Save
a. If the name was already present, select Cancel
b. The status should report “Successful”
(Successful Connection status after changing License server)
34. Select Bundle Settings -> NX Academic – CAE & CAM - > Right Arrow
(Adding the bundle settings for CAE & CAM)
35. Select NX Core & CAD -> Right Arrow -> Apply
(Adding the bundle settings for Core & CAD)
36. Select the Upper Right “X” to close the Licensing Tool window
Installing the Templates
37. Before using NX, you may be required to install RPI Templates and User Defaults. Download the .zip file that corresponds to your installed version and, once unzipped, follow the README instructions found within: https://afsws.rpi.edu/AFS/dept/eng/cax/cad/templates
Article is closed for comments.