This document outlines the general policies and practices relative to the installation and use of connections to the Rensselaer campus network from fraternities and sororities associated with Rensselaer. Network services to off-campus fraternity and sorority houses are provided solely to further the interests of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute with respect to its students residing in those houses. In no way does Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute intend to act as Internet access provider, nor should this statement of policy be construed as any sort of contractual agreement or obligation to provide service.
In what follows, "we" refers to Network Support Services, a unit of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, while "you" refers to any member of any fraternity or sorority to which we provide network services.
Terms and Conditions
- In addition to installing cable between a suitable connection point on the Rensselaer campus to your fraternity or sorority house, we will also install a network hub (or hubs) within your house to provide you with some agreed-upon number of 10BaseT network ports. (Sixteen ports may be typical.)
- We will own, operate, and maintain network equipment and cable back to the campus. You will own, operate, and maintain all station cabling within your fraternity or sorority house and any equipment you supply. The 10BaseT ports on the hub(s) we provide shall be the demarcation point between our responsibilities and yours.
- You will fund the full cost of installing the cable between the Rensselaer campus and your fraternity or sorority house. (We will provide all necessary network electronics up to our demarcation point at no additional cost to you.)
- You will grant us any necessary right-of-ways across your property for the cable installation. You will provide suitable utility space within your fraternity or sorority house as the termination point of the cable and to house the electronic network equipment we will provide. You will grant us reasonable access to the utility space so we may operate, inspect, and maintain our network equipment and cable.
- You are responsible for any and all damage to our equipment and cable installed at your location, other than damage that is a direct result of defectinve material or workmanship or of normal wear-and-tear.
- Any "network visible" device you connect to the network -- that is, any device which responds to a network address, such as a personal computer, workstation, or network printer, but not a passive repeater, unmanaged bridge, etc. -- must have a unique Internet name and address, both of which we administer exclusively.
- You may simultaneously attach up to half again such devices as there are ports to the network in your fraternity or sorority house. (For example,for sixteen port configurations, you would be allowed a maximum of 24 devices.) The aggregate network traffic to and from your house must not be excessive as compared to the traffic load generated by the same number of typical devices found in the residence hall rooms.
- The connection to the Rensselaer campus network is provided solely for your use. You will not allow anyone other than Rensselaer faculty, staff, and students to access the campus network from your location, nor will you extend the network to any location beyond your own property boundaries (including, for example, any unintentional propagation due to some wireless communications technology).
- Any use of the network must not violate the "Grounds for Disciplinary Action," nor the provisions of "Using Computers at Rensselaer" (both published in the Rensselaer Handbook), nor the rules regulating student use of the network in the residence halls, nor any future official revision to those policies by Rensselaer or the terms outlined in this agreement. In the event conflicts arise among provisions of Rensselaer policies or between the provisions of this agreement and Rensselaer policies, the more restrictive provision shall prevail.
Fees and Payment
- You will pay us the full cost of installing fiber-optic cable to your fraternity or sorority house. One half of the estimated project cost is due before the project can be started; the entire balance is due once the cable has been installed.
- You will pay us an service activation fee, which is due just prior to us enabling (or re-enabling) network service to your fraternity or sorority.
- You will pay us a recurring monthly fee for continued service, paid semi-annually, due on the first of January and July. You also will pay any other legitimate recurring fees associated with providing the service, such as utility pole or right-of-way rental fees.
- As of January 1997, the service activation fee is $500 and the monthly fee is $15 per port. (With sixteen ports, the fee would therefore be $240 per month, paid as $1,440 every six months.) At the beginning of each calendar year thereafter, we may adjust these fees upward or downward to accommodate changes in the costs of providing the service or in the cost-recovery model.
- If and when other network-related service fees, such as those for hostname registration, are instituted on campus, you will pay any such applicable fees.
Termination of Service
- You may terminate network service to your fraternity or sorority house without cause at any time; you need only provide us with at least one day written notice of your desire to do so. We will refund any fees you have prepaid for months after the termination date.
- We may terminate network service to your fraternity or sorority house without cause at the end of any month, but we must provide you with at least 60 days written notice of our intention to do so. We will refund any fees you have prepaid for months after the termination date.
- We may terminate this agreement immediately if either (1) your payments are more than 30 days in arrears, or (2) you have committed a severe violation of the provisions of this agreement. In general, if we detect minor transgressions by you, we will issue a warning and ask you to correct the situation. However, if you are unwilling or unable to correct the problem, or if you establish a regular pattern of violating the provisions of this agreement, then we may deem your violation(s) as severe. We will refund any fees you have prepaid for months after the termination date.