The Rensselaer Events Calendar allows you to download iCal files for import into desktop calendaring software, such as:
- Microsoft Outlook,
- Apple's iCal, and
- Palm Desktop.
We have also created a video tutorial explaining how to download an entire calendar and import it into Outlook.
Importing an event:
1. When viewing a single event or list of events, click the "Download iCal" icon: (or ):
[iCal webpage with message stating to click icon in upper right corner to download iCal format]
If you have a desktop calendar such as Microsoft Outlook installed, select "Open":
[file download dialog box asking if you would like to opn the file or save it to your computer with showing the open button with a shaded border around it]
[Opening 10.ics dialog box with option Open it with the default application (icsfile) selected]
If all goes well, the file should automatically load into your desktop calendar. Please note:this process performs an import only. The data is not syncronized; therefore, were you to re-import the same event, you would have two copies of it in your desktop calendar.
If You Have Trouble Importing Events:
If importing an event into your desktop calendar (Microsoft Outlook, Apple's iCal, Palm Desktop) doesn't go smoothly, try the following steps:
1. Save the event to disk, and try importing the file manually.
[Opening 61.ics dialog box with Save it to disk selected]
[File Download dialog box with the save button selected]
2. Once saved, use your desktop calendar software to import the file. For example, in Microsoft Outlook 2002 (XP), select File -> Import/Export . The following dialog box will appear:
[Import and Export Wizard dialog box with Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (.vcs) selected and the Next button selected]
Click "Next" and follow the instructions to select the file you downloaded.
To import the file into the Palm Desktop , change the file's extension from .ics to .vcs (vCal file). Then, from the Palm Desktop calendar, select File -> Import . Choose to import a vCal file.
Note: if you download an event directly on a wireless PDA, you will automatically import a vCal file.
If this process doesn't work, submit a request.
If the above process works, you may wish to set your desktop calendar to the default application for iCal documents.
- In Windows XP select Tools -> Folder Options from any windows explorer (any folder).
- Select the File Types tab and locate the ICS extension.
[Folder Options dialog box with File Types tab open with ICS iCalendar File option selected]
If you can't find "ICS" in the list, you can create it by clicking New and entering ICS in the File Extension field.
- If the ICS file is not set to open with your default calendar, select change and choose your desktop calendar from the list of applications (for example, Microsoft Outlook or the Palm Desktop).
[Open With dialog box showing Microsoft Outlook selected]
If your desktop calendar does not appear in the list of applications, you may need to click browse and locate it manually.
Once you have completed these steps, iCalendar files (.ics) should should load automatically into your desktop calendar application. If this doesn't resolve your problem, submit a request