This procedure is used to Release and Renew your IP address. It is useful for when you move your laptop from one room to another without rebooting, and when you switch from a wireless to a wired network connection.
1. Click Start then Click Run
2. Type "cmd" and Press Enter
3. A command prompt will now open up on your screen.
[Windows System32 command prompt]
4. Type "ipconfig /release" then Type "ipconfig /renew"
[Command prompt showing ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew commands typed in]
5. If there are errors during the Renew and you do not get an IP address, check your network cable and try rebooting the computer. If problems continue, contact the Help Desk by calling x7777 or via e-mail.
1. Click Start, then click Run.
2. Type "winipcfg" and press Enter.
3. If your ethernet card is not already selected, you may need to select it by clicking the Down-Arrow, as shown below.
[IP Configuration screen with drop down menu showing options to choose your Ethernet card]
4. Click Release then Click Renew
5. If there are errors during the renew and you do not get an IP Address check your network cable and try rebooting the computer. If problems please submit a request for assistance.