To use a campus network printer, you need to install the driver intended for that printer on your computer. Windows 7 64-bit can take advantage of Rensselaer's printers.win.rpi.edu server, which makes installing a printer very easy. Note that, if a printer has special features such as two-sided, color, or large paper sizes (B-size paper or the large-format, roll-feed plotters), you will then need to configure the printer driver to select those features.
You will find it helpful to first configure your Windows account to authenticate with printers.win.rpi.edu. Doing this avoids having to supply your User ID and password whenever you print.
Configuring your Windows Account
Note: When you configured a Rensselaer laptop, you probably did the steps below. If so, you can skip to the next section on installing a printer.
- Open the Start button and then the Control Panel.
- Select Small icons from the View by drop-down list. Click on User Accounts.
- On the left of the screen under Tasks, left click on Manage your credentials.
- In the Stored credentials for automatic logon window appears, click on Add a Windows credential.
- In the window that appears:
- Enter printers.win.rpi.edu in the Internet or network address field.
- In the User name field, enter win\‹YourUserID› (for example, win\smithq3). Be sure to use a backslash (\).
- In the Password field, enter the password for your RCS UserID.
- Click OK and close the various windows.
Installing a Printer
- Download and install the proper printer driver from the printer manufacturer's website. A generic Postscript (PS) driver will work for most our black-and-white queues.
- From the Start menu, select Devices and Printers.
- When the Devices and Printers window appears, select Add a printer (located at the top of the window).
- When the Add Printer window opens, click Add a network, wireless or Bluetooth printer. Click Next.
- Note: If No printers were found appears (it usually does), click The printer that I want isn't listed.
- In the Find a printer by name or TCP/IP address window, select Select a shared printer by name. Enter the network address of the printer in the Select a shared printer by name field. This requires the network address of the printer, which is defined by the server name followed by the RCS printer name.
- Note: The server name is \\printers.win.rpi.edu\.
- Note: If you do not know the printer name, after either selecting or typing the server name, simply type the ending backslash ( \ ). After you do this, a drop-down list of printer names will appear, allowing you to select one:
- Click Next.
- Next, a window will open asking if this should be your default printer. Unless this is the printer you use most often, remove the check. Click Finish.