To use a campus network printer, you need to install the driver intended for that printer on your computer. Mac OS X can take advantage of Rensselaer's printers.win.rpi.edu server, however it will require some manual configuration.
Note: This document applies to the following versions of Mac OS X:
- OS X 10.9 Mavericks
- OS X 10.10 Yosemite
- Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu.
- Choose Print & Fax from the View menu.
- Click the + button to add a printer.
- Press the Control key while clicking the "Default" icon (or any other icon on the toolbar), then choose Customize Toolbar from the contextual menu that appears.
- Drag the Advanced (gear) icon to the toolbar.
- Click Done.
- Click the Advanced icon that was added to the toolbar:
- Choose the Windows printer via spoolss option in the Type: field, and the Generic PostScript Printer option in the Use: field.
- In the URL: field, type smb://printers.win.rpi.edu/printer_name , where printer_name is the printer you would like to set up.
- In the Name: field, type the name under which you would like the printer to display.
Note: When you print something, you should be prompted for your username and password; enter your the RCS userID and password. (No win\ needed.) If you are not prompted for a username and password, an outdated copy is likely stored in your keychain. Delete the old key from keychain access (located in the Applications Utilities folder), and you will be prompted for your login when you next print.