Adding a Printer
To use a campus network printer, you need to install the driver intended for that printer on your computer. Windows 8 and 10 64-bit can take advantage of Rensselaer's printers.win.rpi.edu server, which makes installing a printer very easy. Note that, if a printer has special features such as two-sided, color, or large paper sizes (B-size paper or the large-format, roll-feed plotters), you will then need to configure the printer driver to select those features.
You will find it helpful to first configure your Windows account to authenticate with printers.win.rpi.edu. Doing this avoids having to supply your User ID and password whenever you print.
Configuring your Windows Account
NOTE: When you configured a Rensselaer laptop, you probably did the steps below. If so, you can skip to the next section on installing a printer.
- Open the Windows settings tile and then the Control Panel.
- Select Small icons from View by drop-down list. Click on User Accounts.
- On the left of the screen under Tasks, left click on Manage your credentials.
- Click on the Windows Credential icon
- In the Stored credentials for automatic logon window appears, click on Add a Windows credential.
- In the window that appears:
- Enter printers.win.rpi.edu in the Internet or network address field.
- In the User name field, enter win\‹YourUserID› (for example, win\smithq3). Be sure to use a backslash (\).
- In the Password field, enter the password for your RCS UserID.
- Click OK and close the various windows.
Installing a Printer
- Connect to the campus network via either a wired or wireless connection.
- Press the Windows key + R on the keyboard.
- Type \\printers.win.rpi.edu.
- If prompted, log with win\‹YourRCSuserID› and your RCS password.
- Double-click the printer you would like to install.
This will install the printer driver and automatically add the printer to devices you can access to print.
Repeat the above process as needed to add more printers.