The quota of IMAP mailboxes is 500MB, and cannot be increased. In order to make space for new incoming messages, you will have to save large files and delete emails that are in the mailbox. If you would like to save these messages, you can utilize a local client like Outlook or Thunderbird, and copy the messages to a local folder outside of the RPI mailbox before deleting them from the server.
Empty the Trash Folder
Messages that are put into the Trash folder in IMAP still count against the quota.
NOTE: Once the email is slightly below quota messages will be moved to Trash instead of being deleted. To effectively delete messages when you are over quota, you can empty the Trash folder:
1. Log into Roundcube (Webmail) https://webmail.rpi.edu
2. Click the Trash folder to select it.
3. On the lower left corner, click the gear (Folder actions) button. Select "Empty" from the options given.
[Empty option is selected from the trash folder]
4. Click "OK" in the pop-up window to confirm deletion of all messages in the Trash folder.
[Dialog box asking "Do you really want to delete all messages in this folder?" cursor is on OK]
Your quota usage is listed in the email page in the lower left corner.
Mailbox so full you can't move items into Trash?
- On the upper right corner, click the gear (Settings) button.
- On this page there are three sections. Under Settings, select Preferences. Under Section, select "Server settings".
- In the right section, check the box next to "If moving messages to Trash fails, delete them."
- Click the Save button to confirm your changes.
NOTE: that this means any items that are now deleted will be permanently removed.
[Dialog box with cursor selecting Settings in the upper right corner of screen. Server Settings is selected in the Section area in middle of dialog box and under Main Options, If moving messages to Trash fails, delete them is checked off]
Sort emails by size and save attachments
- While logged into Roundcube (Webmail) https://webmail.rpi.edu
- Click the word "Size" on the top column bar until you see the larger size files on top.
- Open the email and save the document. NOTE: RPI uses Box to save files in the cloud. See article "Requesting a Box @RPI Account"
- Delete the email. "Don't forget to empty your Trash after you have deleted your emails"
Keep in mind, since your quota was at 100% there could be more messages in the mail queue which will be delivered, and count against quota. So getting to 99% is not enough to clear the quota warning!