LabVIEW is systems engineering software for applications that require test, measurement, and control with rapid access to hardware and data insights.
This guide describes how to install LabVIEW on a user's device pursuant to the license agreement. LabVIEW is also available for Mac and Linux, please see the following links for instructions on installing the software for those platforms:
To agree to the license and gain access to the software, launch the Software Licensing Tool and follow the prompts.
- The LabVIEW software cannot be used for commercial purposes.
- You cannot distribute the LabVIEW software to anyone.
- The LabVIEW software must be removed from your computer when you leave the Rensselaer community.
Installing LabVIEW 2018 on a computer with 64-bit Windows 10, 8.1, or 7
If you are OFF campus, the VPN needs to be up and running before attempting to install or run this program
- On your keyboard, hold down the Windows key and press R, this will open a Run window on your screen.
- In the Run window, type in explorer and hit enter, this will open File Explorer.
- In File Explorer, open the following folder: \\arc-fs4.win.rpi.edu\software\ni\labview\2018. You may be prompted to enter your RCS UserID. Please type in your RCS UserID preceded by win\ and your RCS password. For example, if the RCS UserID is smithj, then enter win\smithj for the user name.
- Copy the Windows folder onto your computer's desktop. Please be patient it may take some time.
- Open the copied folder and click on the SoftwarePlatformBundle_Spring2018_ENG_WB file to launch the installer.
- When the NI Software Platform Bundle Spring 2018 (web-based installer) window opens, accept the default Download directory by clicking Start.
- At the User Account Control window, click Yes.
- At the NI Software Platform Bundle window click Next.
- At the Select Install or Download Only window, make sure I want to install software now is selected and click Next.
- In the Select Installation Option window, accept the default options by clicking Next.
- You will then be asked to log into NI using an NI User Account. If you already have an account, login and click Log in. If you do not have an account, click on the Create account link at the bottom of the window. If the link does not work open a web browser, navigate to the NI User Account page, and click on Create Account at the bottom.
- The Create account link will open a browser window at NI. Enter in the required information and click on Create Account.
- Once your account has been created, go back to the NI User Account window and log in using the account you just created.
- At the Learn about NIUA window, click on Next to continue.
- When the Enter Serial Numbers window opens, go back to the Windows folder on your Desktop and open the 2018.txt file.
- Copy the information in the file and paste it into the blank text box in the Enter Serial Numbers window. Click Add Serial Number.
- After the serial number has been verified, click Next.
- In the Licensed Product List window, accept the defaults by clicking Next.
- In the Product Information window, uncheck the box and click Next.
- Accept the default Destination Directory by clicking Next.
- At the License Agreements window, make sure I accept the above 2 License Agreement(s) is selected and click Next.
- At the next License Agreements window, make sure I accept the above 2 License Agreement(s) is selected and click Next.
- Disable Windows Fast Startup by leaving the box checked and clicking Next.
- Start the download and installation by clicking Next.
- At the Warning: Windows Firewall Might Be Enabled window, click Next.
- When you see All products were installed successfully, click Next to exit the installer.
- You will be asked to participate in the National Instruments Customer Experience Improvement Program, make sure No is selected and click OK.
- You must restart your computer before using LabVIEW.