General instructions on how to connect your computer to a file server at RPI. These servers might be refereed to as "windows", samba, mapped drives, or SMB servers.
You should have been provided a "Path" to the server location by a staff member or your instructor. This path looks similar to a website URL but cannot be used in a regular web browser. Replace the example path in step 2 with the path provided to you. The path should look something like \\name.win.rpi.edu\folder or \\name.win.rpi.edu\username$.
To access these servers you must use your RCS username and password. You must also be on the RPI network or connected via the VPN to access these servers.
- Click the windows logo in the bottom left corner
- Type the path (\\name.win.rpi.edu\folder) into the search box, then press enter
- May prompt for username and password . Enter WIN\your rcsid as the username and your rcs password
Note that the back slash in the path have been changed to forward slashes.
- Go to the finder, click Go, in the top menu bar, then click on connect to server.
- For server, type smb://name.win.rpi.edu/folder
- Click on the plus if you want to get back to it easily later, then click connect.
- A window will pop up. Leave the workgroup/domain name as is.
- Enter your RCS username and password
Last Reviewed: 05-Sep-2018