System Center 2012 Endpoint Protection provides an antimalware and security solution for Windows, Mac, and Linux.
Before you can install System Center 2012 Endpoint Protection you must be an employee of a department which is part of the Microsoft Campus Agreement (MCA) or a student from the Mobile Computing Program (MCP). Being a member of the MCA or MCP gives you the permission necessary to access the System Center 2012 Endpoint Protection installation files through the network.
This guide describes how to install System Center 2012 Endpoint Protection on a user's device pursuant to the license agreement. System Center 2012 Endpoint Protection is also available for Mac and Linux, please see the following links for instructions on installing the software for those platforms:
To agree to the license and gain access to the software, launch the Software Licensing Tool and follow the prompts.
- The System Center 2012 Endpoint Protection software cannot be used for commercial purposes.
- You cannot distribute the System Center 2012 Endpoint Protection software to anyone.
- The System Center 2012 Endpoint Protection software must be removed from your computer when you leave the Rensselaer community.
- If you are not a member of either the MCA or MCP, please read this announcement.
Installing System Center 2012 Endpoint Protection on a computer with Windows 8.1, 7, Vista, or XP
If you are OFF campus, the VPN needs to be up and running before attempting to install or run this program
- On your keyboard, hold down the Windows key and press R, this will open a Run window on your screen.
- In the Run window, type in explorer and hit enter, this will open File Explorer.
- In File Explorer, enter the following information into the Address bar at the top of the window: \\arc-fs4.win.rpi.edu\software\Microsoft\2012. You may be prompted to enter your RCS UserID. Please type in your RCS UserID preceded by win\ and your RCS password. For example, if the RCS UserID is smithj, then enter win\smithj for the user name.
- Open the folder that corresponds to your operating system (e.g. win32 for 32-bit Windows or win64 for 64-bit Windows)
- Copy the installation executable file (rpi-SCEP2012-win64.exe or rpi-SCEP2012-win32.exe) to your computer's Desktop.
- To save time, uninstall any existing antivirus software and reboot your computer. The safest method is to disconnect the computer from the network before uninstalling any existing antivirus software.
- Run the copied file by double-clicking on its icon.
- Click Run at the Open File security warning.
- Click Yes at the User Account Control message. You might be prompted to enter your RCS UserID. Please type in your RCS UserID preceded by win\ and your RCS password. For example, if the RCS UserID is smithj, then enter win\smithj for the user name.
- When the WinZip Self-Extractor window appears read the message. If you are a member of the MCA or MCP click OK to continue. If you are not a member of the MCA or MCP click cancel to terminate the installation and read this announcement.
- At the next window click on Setup to begin the installation.
- At the Welcome to the System Center 2012 Endpoint Protection 2010 Installation Wizard, click Next.
- At the System Center 2012 Endpoint Protection 2010 Software License Terms window, click I accept.
- At the Join the Customer Experience Improvement Program window, select I do not want to join the program at this time and click Next.
- At the Optimize Security window, check the box to turn on the Windows Firewall and then click Next.
- If you already have an antivirus program installed on your computer you may be prompted to remove it. Please do so and then reboot when prompted.
- After the restart and login, the installer will resume, download any updates, and launch the Quick Scan. Please be patient. It may take 15 minutes or more depending on your computer.
- At the Ready to Install System Center 2012 Endpoint Protection window click Install. The installation will last a minute or two.
- At the Completing the System Center 2012 Endpoint Protection Installation Wizard window, uncheck the box at left of Scan my computer for potential threats after getting the latest updates and then click Finish. The software will then will update to the latest version.