Mathematica is a technical computing system spanning most areas of technical computing.
This guide describes how to install Mathematica on a user's device pursuant to the license agreement. Mathematica is also available for Mac and Linux, please see the following links for instructions on installing the software for those platforms:
To agree to the license and gain access to the software, launch the Software Licensing Tool and follow the prompts.
- The Mathematica software cannot be used for commercial purposes.
- You cannot distribute the Mathematica software to anyone.
- The Mathematica software must be removed from your computer when you leave the Rensselaer community.
Installing Mathematica on a computer with Windows 10, 8.1, or 7
If you are OFF campus, the VPN needs to be up and running before attempting to install or run this program
- On your keyboard, hold down the Windows key and press R, this will open a Run window on your screen.
- In the Run window, type in explorer and hit enter, this will open File Explorer.
- In File Explorer, enter the following information into the Address bar at the top of the window: \\arc-fs4.win.rpi.edu\software\Mathematica\11.3\Windows. You may be prompted to enter your RCS UserID. Please type in your RCS UserID preceded by win\ and your RCS password. For example, if the RCS UserID is smithj, then enter win\smithj for the user name.
- Double-click on the setup.exe icon to launch the installation.
- Click Run at the Open File security warning.
- Click Yes at the User Account Control message. You might be prompted to enter your RCS UserID. Please type in your RCS UserID preceded by win\ and your RCS password. For example, if the RCS UserID is smithj, then enter win\smithj for the user name.
- At the Wolfram Mathematica Setup window, click Next.
- For the default Destination Location, either accept the default location by clicking Next, or click Browse to choose a different location and then click Next.
- At the Select Components window, accept the default and click Next.
- Also click Next at the Start Menu Folder window.
- In the Ready to Install window, click Install.
- The Installation Status window shows the progress of the installation. Please be patient, it may take about 10 minutes.
- At the Completing the Wolfram Mathematica Installation window, click Finish.
- Wolfram Mathematica 11 is opened (in the future you may launch the program by clicking on its icon in the start menu). In the displayed window, click on the Other ways to activate button and then select Connect to a network license server.
- In the Server Name field type in licsrvr32.win.rpi.edu and click Activate.
- When prompted, read the license agreement, check the box next to I accept the terms of this agreement, and click OK. The Mathematica Interface is then displayed.