Altair HyperWorks for Windows is a comprehensive, open architecture CAE simulation platform.
This guide describes how to install Altair HyperWorks 2017 on a user's device pursuant to the license agreement.
To agree to the license and gain access to the software, launch the Software Licensing Tool and follow the prompts.
- The Altair HyperWorks software cannot be used for confidential or commercial purposes.
- You cannot distribute the Altair HyperWorks software to anyone.
- The Altair HyperWorks software must be removed from your computer when you leave the Rensselaer community.
Installing Altair HyperWorks on a computer with Windows 7, 8.1, or 10:
If you are OFF campus, the VPN needs to be up and running before attempting to install or run the program
- On your keyboard, hold down the Windows key and press R, this will open a Run window on your screen.
- In the Run window, type in explorer and hit enter, this will open File Explorer.
- In File Explorer, enter the following information into the Address bar at the top of the window: \\arc-fs4.win.rpi.edu\software\Altair\2019\application. You may be prompted to enter your RCS UserID. Please type in your RCS UserID preceded by win\ and your RCS password. For example, if the RCS UserID is smithj, then enter win\smithj for the user name.
- Copy the master installer file, hw2019.1_win64.exe, and paste it onto your computer's Desktop.
- After the master installer file has finished downloading, go back to application folder and copy the specific modules you desire and paste them onto your computer's Desktop. Altair’s solutions cover many different engineering areas, most likely you do not need to copy/install ALL the modules. See the link: https://afsws.rpi.edu/AFS/dept/eng/cax/cae/altair_install_features.pdf for a course/module grid if you are unsure of what is required.
- From your Desktop, click on the hw2019.1_win64 icon to launch the installer.
- Click Run at the Open File security warning.
- Click Yes at the User Account Control message. You might be prompted to enter your RCS UserID. Please type in your RCS UserID preceded by win\ and your RCS password. For example, if the RCS UserID is smithj, then enter win\smithj for the user name.
- At the next screen, accept the default language (English) by clicking OK.
- At the Introduction window, click Next.
- At the Choose Installation Type window, select Local and click Next.
- For the Install Folder, either accept the default by clicking Next or click Choose... to select a different location and then click Next when ready.
- In the next window, you can create shortcuts on your Desktop by selecting Yes (optional). Click Next when ready.
- For the Choose Install Set window, check and uncheck items to install or not. See the course/module grid link in Step 5 for examples of courses and installers. Select Next.
- For the Help Configuration, select Connect to Altair Website Help and click Next.
- In the Set up Licensing window make sure Enter license server(port@host) or choose a license file: is selected.
- In the available text field type in firstname.lastname@example.org and click Next.
- At the Pre-Installation Summary, click Install. Installation could take over 30 minutes.
- When the installation has finished, click Done.
Setting up the license variable:
- Before you start using Altair HyperWorks, you need to create the following System Variable:
- Name: ALTAIR_LICENSE_PATH
- Value: email@example.com
- To do this right-click on This PC (My Computer) and select Properties.
- Select Advanced System Settings.
- Click on the Advanced tab.
- Click on Environment Variables.
- There will be two panes. The bottom one contains the System Variable.
- Click on New.
- In the Variable Name field type ALTAIR_LICENSE_PATH and in the Variable Value field type in firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Click OK three times.