Altair HyperWorks for Windows is a comprehensive, open architecture CAE simulation platform.
This guide describes how to install Altair HyperWorks 2017 on a user's device pursuant to the license agreement.
To agree to the license and gain access to the software, launch the Software Licensing Tool and follow the prompts.
- The Altair HyperWorks software cannot be used for commercial purposes.
- You cannot distribute the Altair HyperWorks software to anyone.
- The Altair HyperWorks software must be removed from your computer when you leave the Rensselaer community.
Installing Altair HyperWorks on a computer with Windows 7, 8.1, or 10:
If you are OFF campus, the VPN needs to be up and running before attempting to install or run the program
- On your keyboard, hold down the Windows key and press R, this will open a Run window on your screen.
- In the Run window, type in explorer and hit enter, this will open File Explorer.
- In File Explorer, enter the following information into the Address bar at the top of the window: \\arc-fs4.win.rpi.edu\software\Altair\2017. You may be prompted to enter your RCS UserID. Please type in your RCS UserID preceded by win\ and your RCS password. For example, if the RCS UserID is smithj, then enter win\smithj for the user name.
- Copy the application folder to your computer's Desktop. The size of the folder is about 9.4 GB so it may take a few minutes, please be patient.
- From your Desktop, open the application folder and click on the hw2017.2_win64 icon to launch the installer. Please be patient it may take a little while to see the next screen.
- Click Run at the Open File security warning.
- Click Yes at the User Account Control message. You might be prompted to enter your RCS UserID. Please type in your RCS UserID preceded by win\ and your RCS password. For example, if the RCS UserID is smithj, then enter win\smithj for the user name.
- At the next screen, accept the default language (English) by clicking OK.
- At the Introduction window, click Next.
- At the Sub-Installer List window, select Next.
- At the Choose Installation Type window, make sure Local is selected and click Next.
- At the Install Folder window, you may either select the default by clicking Next or selecting a different location by clicking on Choose, navigating to the desired location, and clicking Next when completed.
- In the next window, you may create Desktop shortcuts by selecting Yes (Optional) and clicking Next.
- At the Choose Install Set window, check and uncheck desired items to install them or not. Click Next when you are finished.
- For the Help Configuration, make sure Connect to Altair Website Help is selected and click Next.
- At the Pre-Installation Summary, click Install. Installation could take over 30 minutes, please be patient.
- In the Install Complete window, click Done.
Setting up the license variable:
- Before you start using Altair HyperWorks, you need to create the following System Variable:
- Name: ALTAIR_LICENSE_PATH
- Value: email@example.com
- To do this right-click on This PC (My Computer) and select Properties.
- Select Advanced System Settings.
- Click on the Advanced tab.
- Click on Environment Variables.
- There will be two panes. The bottom one contains the System Variable.
- Click on New.
- In the Variable Name field type ALTAIR_LICENSE_PATH and in the Variable Value field type in firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Click OK three times.