SolidWorks is 3D CAD product design engineering software.
This guide describes how to install SolidWorks on a user's device pursuant to the license agreement.
To agree to the license and gain access to the software, launch the Software Licensing Tool and follow the prompts.
- The SolidWorks software cannot be used for research or commercial purposes.
- You cannot distribute the SolidWorks software to anyone.
- SolidWorks is governed by USA export laws.
- The SolidWorks software must be removed from your computer when you leave the Rensselaer community.
Installing SolidWorks on a Computer with Windows 10, 8.1, or 7
If you are OFF campus, the VPN needs to be up and running before attempting to install or run this program
- Uninstall any previous version of SolidWorks and its features (eDrawings DWGeditor, PhotoView, Solidworks Explorer/Workgroup PDM, etc.) and then reboot your system.
- On your keyboard, hold down the Windows key and press R, this will open a Run window on your screen.
- In the Run window, type in explorer and hit enter, this will open File Explorer.
- In File Explorer, enter the following information into the Address bar at the top of the window: \\arc-fs4.win.rpi.edu\software\solidworks\2017. You may be prompted to enter your RCS UserID. Please type in your RCS UserID preceded by win\ and your RCS password. For example, if the RCS UserID is smithj, then enter win\smithj for the user name.
- Double-click on the setup.exe icon to launch the SolidWorks installer.
- Click Run at the Open File security warning.
- Click Yes at the User Account Control message. You might be prompted to enter your RCS UserID. Please type in your RCS UserID preceded by win\ and your RCS password. For example, if the RCS UserID is smithj, then enter win\smithj for the user name.
- At the Welcome to SolidWorks 2017 Installation Manager window, make sure that Individual (on this computer) is selected and click Next.
- Please be patient when you see the message Connecting to Solidworks.... It may take a few minutes.
- When prompted for the 3D Design Serial Number, reopen the \\arc-fs4.win.rpi.edu\software\solidworks\2017 folder and double-click on the file called 3D Design.txt.
- Copy the contents of that file into the Serial Number field and click Next.
- If you see the message “The SolidWorks Installation Manager windows could not connect to The SolidWorks server to determine which products you are entitled to install" check your Internet connection and click Retry. If this problem persists click Cancel.
- If you see the prompt “New Version Available”, select No and then click Next.
- Click OK at the warning about Windows update.
- At the Summary window, you may accept the default or, if you wish to modify anything, click on the CHANGE link and select a new location for the product.
- Please note that the default installation directory is C:\Program Files\Solidworks Corp and the needed disk space is 6.8 GB.
- Once you have chosen your installation directory, check the box next to I accept the terms of the SOLIDWORKS License Agreement and click Install Now.
- When prompted for a Port@server type in firstname.lastname@example.org and then click OK.
- Please be patient while the files are installed. It may take longer than 40 minutes.
- When you see Installation is complete, clear the square at the top and select No, thank you and then click Finish.