Once you register for a Box account, you can share your files and folders. These files and folders can be shared with anyone inside or outside RPI. Anyone with the shared link to a folder can add files to this folder.
Procedures or Details
- While viewing your documents in Box, hover your mouse over the file or folder you want to share and click “Share” located to the right.
- To share internally to those who have registered a Box account with RPI:
- Click in the “Enter names or email addresses.” area, and a Message box appears below.
- Start typing the email addresses of those you want to invite to the file or folder. If the address comes up in the search, they already have a Box Account.
- Either keep the default message or add any text to the message area.
- The default permissions is Editor. Click drop-down next to Editor if you want different permissions.
- Click Send
- Note: You can enter email addresses even if they do not come up in a search, however this means they do not have a Box account. They will need to register for a Box account prior to being able to get to the link. The message they receive if they have not registered is not clear that is what is needed. It might be best to invite these individuals separately and modify the message sent that they need to register for a Box account prior to being able to view the information. The article link is: https://itssc.rpi.edu/hc/en-us/articles/360004829931-Requesting-a-Box-RPI-Account
- To share externally/public (can be combined internal and external individuals):
- Click on Enable shared link.
- Under the link box click the drop down next to People in your company. You can choose People with the link or Invited people only.
- Invited people only you can invite people by email address in the Invitee box. Permissions defaults to Editor - click drop down next to Editor if you want to change permissions. Change message (optional) click Send
- People with the link - this is a good option is you want to hyperlink a file or folder to make available to anyone such as on a web page. Next to this drop down, permissions default to Can view and download. This can be changed to Can view only. Click on Copy to copy the cryptic link and use this to hyperlink to the file or folder.