Siemens NX is an advanced, integrated CAD/CAE/CAM software package.
This guide describes how to install NX on a user's device pursuant to the license agreement. NX is also available for Windows, please see the following link for instructions on installing the software on that platform:
To agree to the license and gain access to the software, launch the Software Licensing Tool and follow the prompts.
- The NX software cannot be used for commercial purposes.
- You cannot distribute the NX software to anyone.
- The NX software must be removed from your computer when you leave the Rensselaer community.
Installing NX on a Mac with OS 10.10.3 and up
If you are OFF campus, the VPN needs to be up and running before attempting to install or run this program
- It is strongly recommended that you use an on-campus wired network connection to download the installation files.
- Before installing NX you must have XQuartz 2.7.9 installed.
- Go to https://www.xquartz.org/releases/XQuartz-2.7.9.html to download and install XQuartz.
- In the Finder, click on the Go menu and then click Connect to Server...
- In the Connect To Server dialog box, enter smb://arc-fs4.win.rpi.edu/software and click Connect.
- In the next windows, type in your win\RCS UserID for Name and your RCS Password for password. For example, if the RCS UserID is smithj, then enter win\smithj for the user name.
- Make sure Registered User is selected and then click Connect. For Workgroup/Domain, accept the default. A new drive will be mounted called software.
- Go to the Finder and open the software drive.
- Open the following folders: siemens > nx > 12
- Drag the MACOS folder to the Desktop of your computer. Because of the size of the files in the folder it may take some time to copy. Please be patient.
- From the MACOS folder, open the Base Install folder.
- Double-click on the file nx-12.0.2.tar.gz. A new folder named dvdrom1202_nx is created.
- Select Go > Computer
- Double-click on the Hard Drive directory.
- Move the dvdrom1202_nx folder to the Hard Drive directory. You may be prompted to enter your Mac password, do so as needed.
- Open the dvdrom1202_nx folder and click on run_install to launch the installer. You might be prompted for a username and password. It will be your computer's user name and password not your RCS ones. Type them and then hit Enter.
- Select 5 to change the License Server address and hit Enter.
- Type in email@example.com and hit Enter.
- Hit Enter to accept the directory.
- Hit Enter to accept the default installation choices.
- You will see a notice that states no further input is required while the program installs.
- When you see the installation is completed message, close the window.
- Before starting NX, you need to verify the license information.
- Go to Applications > Siemens and open the following folders: NX12.0_Apps > NX Licensing Tools
- Click on Licensing Tool.
- Ignore the error if the system cannot connect to the license (select OK).
- Select Bundle Settings and make sure NX Academic Bundles 1 year CAE +CAM and NX Academic Renewal Fee are both listed under Applied Bundles. If they are not, select them under Available Bundles and click on the Add arrow. Click Apply when finished.
- Close the Licensing Tool window.
- Open the Application > NX12.0_Apps folder.
- You may click on NX 12.0 to launch the program or you may drag it to the dock.