Catalina - Mac OS 10.15 - no longer supports 32bit applications.
The Mediasite Desktop Recorder (MDR), as linked in the MyMediasite portal, is currently a 32bit application and therefore it is not supported by Catalina. If you are already a Mediasite user, we recommend against upgrading to Mac OS 10.15. If you are a new Mediasite user already on Mac OS 10.15, you will be unable to install the MDR.
If you are on Catalina and using MyMediasite, there are two potential solutions, outlined below.
Attempting to install the MDR on a Mac which is running Catalina/OS 10.15 will result in an error that the OS cannot verify the application and check it for malicious software.
Attempting to upgrade to Catalina if the MDR is already installed will present the user with a dialog stating that the app is not optimized and will need to be upgraded after the installation of Catalina.
The Mediasite Desktop Recorder (MDR) is being phased out and replaced by a new application: Mediasite Capture. The open beta for this new application is available to Catalina users through the Apple store.
While this application is termed a Beta, per Sonic Foundry it is close to complete and is ready for use.
To install the Mediasite Capture application:
- Access the Apple Store and search for Mediasite Capture
- Download and install the application
- Follow the instructions to connect to https://mediasite.mms.rpi.edu/Mediasite5 with your RCS ID and password.
Manually record and upload video
You do not need to have the MDR installed in order to use Mediasite. You can create a recording using other software (such as the natively available Quicktime) on the Mac and then upload the file to your MyMediasite portal.
- Recording Using Quicktime In Catalina
- Changing the Resolution of Video for Upload to Mediasite on the Mac
- Uploading a Pre-Recorded Video to Mediasite through the Web-Based MyMediasite Portal
- Sonic Foundry KB000004074 Knowledge Base article regarding MacOS Catalina and support for the MDR for detailed information regarding this issue.
- Sonic Foundry KB000004095 Knowledge Base article for the Mediasite Capture open beta.
- MediasiteU: Mediasite Capture app for macOS
Last Reviewed: 7-May-2020