- Organize students into project groups in seconds
- Work together on any device, anywhere, on or off-campus
- Everyone can chat, meet, and share files securely
Is this Tool for you?
- If you are going to do constant collaboration with less than 20 students, then use Classroom Collaboration and Webex "teams".
- If you are lecturing to more than 20 students, use Webex Events, which can be scheduled in your LMS course via Virtual Meetings.
Classroom Collaboration IS NOT recommended:
- as a method of lecturing large classes, as all students can comment and add content
- Instead, use WebEx Events/Virtual Meetings options for lecturing large classes
If you are going to use Classroom Collaboration continue reading.
Please note that 'Classroom Collaboration' creates a 'Team' based on course enrollment--manipulation should not be started before students are entered via the Registrar automation.
If this is the first time you are enabling Classroom Collaboration:
Create a Team - lets you organize multiple Spaces under a common theme (the course). You'll have a general Space for course discussion, to begin with, and you can create more Spaces as you need them. Students can also create their own Spaces for study groups. Everyone can see all of the created Spaces within a team and choose the ones they want to join.
Create a Space - create one general Space that you can invite your students into. There isn't an option to create other Spaces, everything will take place in one general space.
Unless you are certain one general space is all that is required, it is recommended to create a team and then have multiple spaces for different conversations that will take place around the course.
Once you have your spaces going, it is easy to open up the menu of options where you can call a student, send a message, add people to a Space or search all the files that have been shared in the Space.
Tip: If you ever need to send a direct message to a student, simply click the Members tab and select the student you are looking for. You are now able to have a 1:1 conversation with that student.
Classroom Collaboration Overview
- Uses Webex (formerly 'Webex Teams') application
- Will create a persistent workspace for course participants
- Built for collaboration, used across several platforms & devices persistently
- Video, Audio, Chat, Recording & Content sharing capabilities
- Up to 200 users per Teams meetings
- Webex Education Connector authorization only has to be completed once in your course, then it is authorized for all courses across LMS for that user. (It is no longer necessary for a LMS admin to go in to authorize Webex for faculty.)
- Do not access the Classroom Collaboration feature before you have clicked authorize in settings. Doing so will cause an error and may take time to correct.
- Do not Archive or leave your team once you’ve created it. Doing so will cause a fatal error for Classroom Collaboration.
- Once you load the Collaboration space in your LMS course, you need to make your initial team or space in your course first.
- After you add the LMS course team within the LMS course, you can then go to the Webex application to collaborate.
- It does not work the other way around. Meaning, if you make a space within the WebEx Teams application, it will not be reflected in your LMS course/instance.
- Setup spaces within the LMS, then move to the dedicated application on your device.
Watch this video to see Classroom Collaboration in use within a course and within the app
Article is closed for comments.