This document contains the instructions needed for adding a new monitoring test to RPI's Nagios system. If, for instance, you have a new server, or a new hard drive within that server, this document is the one to follow.
To add a new server or test to Nagios, you'll need to submit a support request in the ITSSC, as follows:
- If necessary, install the server-side monitoring agent (NCPA) on to your server. Instructions for doing so can be found in the “Installing the Nagios Monitoring Client on Your Server” article.
- Submit a new support request.
- Fill in your contact information.
- In the “Support Request Category” field, select “Server → Nagios → Nagios - Add Host/Service”.
- In the “Detailed Description” field, please provide:
- The name and IP address of the server.
- What you want to have monitored and how often you want the test to occur. Please be specific.
- The thresholds for when alerts will be generated. For example, on a hard drive partition, you can request that warning-level alerts be generated when the partition is 50% full, with critical-level alerts being generated at 80%.
- A list of people (and their email addresses) that will be notified in the event of problems.
- In addition, if you have procedures that Operations can follow in the event of problems, please include a copy of those.
Once the ticket has been entered, it will be dealt with within three business days.