The RCS Group Management tool is an interface that can feed membership groups into other services at Rensselaer. This article is a guide for end users of the tool explaining how to add or remove members from assigned groups.
Procedures or Details
To use this RCS Group Management tool, verify your computer is connected to the RPI network on campus or via VPN. Then, log in at the following link with your RCS credentials:
Once logged in, there should be at least 2 groups listed:
The groupname_admin group is to control who has administrative permissions to modify members of the groupname_access group.
NOTE: the membership of the groupname_admin group should NOT be modified. Please enter a support request via https://support.rpi.edu if modification is needed.
The groupname_access group is to control who has access to your system.
To modify membership of the groupname_access group:
- Select the Edit button next to the group title. This will bring up the group modification page.
- If you don't need to add a member, proceed to Step 3. To add a member, enter their name in the New Member search area, select the proper entry from the results list, and click the Add Member button.
- If you don't need to remove a member, proceed to Step 4. To remove a member, check the box next to their photo and click the Delete Members button.
- To return to the list of groups, select the Cancel button.
Updates made to these groups do not take effect in real time. Below are an estimate of when the sync runs. If you don't see changes at the first time window you expected please wait at least one more before contacting us.
- Computers using these groups via LDAP will see changes take effect daily 8:00am, 1:00pm, and 6:00pm.
- Computers using these groups via Active Directory (AKA win.rpi.edu or the Win Domain) will see changes take effect hourly.
- RCS Group Management Tool Service
- RCS Group Management Tool Request Guide
- RCS Group Management - Group Implementation Guide
Last Reviewed: 01-May-2020