The Bookings app in Microsoft Teams offers an easy way to schedule in-person/virtual appointments. Those who schedule can manage department/staff calendars and communications with internal/external attendees with virtual appointments held using Microsoft Teams meetings.
NOTE: Only schedulers need to have the Bookings app installed in Teams. Staff who conduct or participate in virtual appointments will not need the app and can join from their Outlook/Teams calendar or from a Teams meeting link in the booking confirmation email.
Adding Bookings App to MS Teams
- Open Microsoft Teams.
- Click the Apps icon from the left navigation pane.
- On the search bar type Bookings.
- Click once on Bookings from the list below and then click Add.
- Click Go to Virtual Appointments located in the upper right corner.
- Once the Virtual Appointments screen appears, click Add.
- Choose Connect a calendar or Create a calendar if a Bookings schedule button appears.
Virtual Appointments with Teams and Bookings App
The virtual appointments are held through Microsoft Teams meetings and each virtual appointment includes a Teams meeting link that’s sent to the attendees in email, where they join from a web browser or in Teams on any device.
Create a Calendar
- Click Create a calendar.
[Virtual Appointments tab with Create a calendar button highlighted]
2. Type a Business name, choose a Business type, add an email address for attendee responses and a Business phone number. Click Save.
[New booking calendar screen showing Business Type, email address and Business phone number completed with Save button highlighted]
At the top the new bookings calendar appears. NOTE: You can click the drop-down arrow to the right of the new bookings calendar to switch to other booking calendars.
[Test Booking Calendar and New booking calendar and Existing booking calendar highlighted]
An email is sent with the name of the new booking calendar and a link to Bookings.
[Email received when new booking calendar is created with a Go to Bookings link]
You can also click on the … three dots from the left navigation pane and click Bookings to open the Bookings App within the Teams window.
[Three dots on left navigation pane and Bookings icon app highlighted]
The Bookings calendar appears in the MS Teams window. Showing availability of each staff assigned to that service.
[Staff calendars with available times]
Schedule a Booking in the Teams Booking App
After you schedule a booking, a Microsoft Teams Meeting link is automatically added to the email sent to attendees and staff. What’s great about Teams video meetings is that attendees can join from any computer or mobile device, whether or not they have a Teams account.
- Open MS Teams and with a Bookings calendar on the screen.
- Select New booking located in the upper right corner OR click on a time within the calendar on the screen.
The new Bookings window appears.
[New booking window to complete booking information. Once the bookings icon appears on the left, right click and choose PIN. This icon will appear the next time you open MS Teams]
3. Type the Attendee name and email.
4. Edit the date/time if needed.
5. Click Add staff * and select the staff member from the list below and notes if the staff member is free.
[Add Staff dialog box showing two staff names]
6. Add a note for the staff member if needed.
7. Add a location if this will not be an online meeting.
8. You can select to have the attendee join from a web browser.
9. Add a confirmation message to the attendee.
10. Select if you want them to receive a text message. You will need to note the attendees phone number at the top. NOTE: Attendees have to acknowledge a consent.
[Send them text messages feature with slider to the right]
11. Click Add an email reminder if you want to send an email reminder or click Done.
12. Add a form to fill out – IF A FORM was created a head of time, you can add this.
13. When all the relevant information is added, click Send.
NOTE: The email confirmation sent to the attendee includes the meeting link and an attachment so that they can add the virtual appointment to their calendar. Staff also receive an email confirmation and meeting invite.
Conduct and Monitor Appointments
- In your MS Teams or Outlook calendar, go to the booking and then select Join or the Teams meeting link and select Join now.
- Choose Bookings while in MS Teams and then click Queue at the top of the bookings bar.
- From the queue you can add a new booking, view relevant appointment details, and see appointment statuses.
- When someone enters an appointment, the status changes and wait time is displayed.
- Staff can join and manage the appointments directly from the queue.
[Queue tab showing in one place information on bookings]