Tips on how to keep your laptop secure
To reduce the chance of your laptop being stolen
- always use your laptop security cable
- Lock the doors and windows in a room when the room is unoccupied
- Use as much care safeguarding your laptop as you do for your wallet or purse
You can lose valuable files on your laptop through a malicious virus, a hardware failure, or an error on your part.
- Anti-virus software: Windows 10 comes with Windows Defender.
- File backups: The second thing we recommend for data security is to run regular file backups using an external hard drive. USB flash drives also work well for backups, but they are small and can be easy to lose.
- Cloud storage: In many cases, storing your documents in the cloud is a great way to go. It allows you to access them using a variety of devices and share or collaborate more easily with others. Two services currently available to Rensselaer students are Box and OneDrive.