How to obtain an IP Address for hosting a personal Web server both Students and Departments
For Students - Hosting a Personal Web Server in your Residence Hall
The campus firewalls now block inbound web services (TCP port 80) to the campus ResNet system. This affects students hosting a personal web server on ResNet in that off-campus access to the server will not be allowed by default.
Students wishing to host a personal web server on ResNet may do so on-line by completing the ResNet Static IP Request Form to obtain a static IP address for their server from the Hostmaster. The static IP address will usually be assigned within one business day. Firewall changes can take up to five business days. You can check back to see the status.
Firewall changes for a student's personal web server will remain in effect for the academic year. After that time, if the change is still required for the following academic year, the student will need to submit a new request.
Campus firewalls will do application inspection of inbound traffic on TCP port 80 (http) to ensure protocol validity.
Please refer to the ResNet section of this website for more information about ResNet firewall traffic.
Most members of the campus computing community will need to contact the Hostmaster via e-mail or campus mail in order to obtain an IP address. In either case, users should provide as much of the following information as possible so as to help process their request in a more timely manner. An abbreviated notation for each list item appears in parentheses.
- Name of person requesting the hostname: (Requestor:)
- Name of the primary user of the host: (Owner:)
- Building and room number where the host is located: (Location:)
- RPI Department or organization name: (Department:)
- Domain name the host is a member of: (Domain:)
- Desired host name: (Hostname:)
- Type of machine and operating system: (Hardware/OS:)
- Serial number of the host if known: (S/N:)
- RPI property management tag number on the host if known: (Tag:)
- Name of the system administrator if different from primary user: (Admin:)
- Sub-network the host will be connected to: (Sub-network:)