You can use most campus applications from off-campus, but, generally speaking, you will need to start up the campus VPN before running any of these applications. This includes software that Rensselaer has licensed but which requires users to obtain a license from the campus license servers. Licensing happens seamlessly on-campus, provided users are attached to the campus network.
What applications require VPN to work correctly from off-campus
Here are some of the applications that will require the VPN in order to work correctly from off-campus:
- Altair HyperWorks
- Matlab (before version 2012a)
How do I access campus software from off-campus
- Before starting your application, you must install and configure the VPN.
- Instructions for installing and configuring the VPN can be found at https://itssc.rpi.edu/hc/en-us/articles/360008783172-VPN-Connection-and-Installation *please note students should connect to vpn.stu.rpi.edu
2. Once the VPN has been activated, you may start your application normally.
- To map a network drive to download software, it is necessary to start the VPN before mapping or accessing the download drive.
- When mapping arc-fs4.win.rpi.edu\software, if you are not in the RPI Windows domain it may be necessary to enter your userID as win\[userID] rather than the standard [userID].
- Also, please note that if you are using RPI e-mail from off-campus and are not using the RPI Webmail client, it is best to start the VPN before starting your e-mail application.
Last Reviewed: 25-Jul-2018