Rensselaer Computer Repair (RCR) is located on the lower level of the Voorhees Computing Center (VCC) and is open Monday - Friday, 8:30am - 4:30pm.
Manufacturer-certified technicians provide warranty repair for Lenovo, HP, Dell, Alienware, and Apple equipment. Rensselaer Computer Repair also offers time and materials non-warranty repair on all other equipment.
Disabled students may request of either Disabled Student Services or staff at the Help Desk to arrange that personnel from the Computer Repair Center meet with them at the Help Desk.
Mobile Computing Program
RCR works closely with the Mobile Computing Program to provide warranty repairs on Rensselaer Lenovo and Dell laptops.
- If you are having trouble with your laptop, first go to the Help Desk in the VCC. If the problem is hardware-related, they will direct you to RCR. Be sure to backup your data prior to going to the computer repair center. If the repair will be lengthy, a loaner laptop may be available to participants in the Mobile Computing Program on a first-come, first-served basis.
- If your repair falls under ThinkPad Protection for accidental damage, RCR can help you contact Lenovo and make arrangements to have your laptop repaired.
- Loaners: If you need to leave your laptop for repair, as a member of the MCP you have access to a free loaner. Please keep in mind that while the Mobile Computing team will do its best to provide the laptop model you request, that specific model may not be available.
Away from campus Warranty Service
Lenovo -- Contact Lenovo directly at 1-800-426-7378. Be sure to have the system make/model and laptop serial number; these can be found on the bottom of your laptop. On newer-model laptops, the serial number is under the battery. You can also find the serial number of your laptop by pressing the F1 key during boot up. If you are out of the country, you can find more information on Lenovo's International Warranty Service webpage
Dell -- You can reach the Dell service repair center at 1-866-516-3115. You will need to enter your Service Express Code found on the back or bottom of your laptop. It should be a 9 to 11 digit number no letters or dashes.
When contacting either vendor, if they suggest dropping the laptop to a service center, advise them that RPI has requested a depot repair which consists of the vendor sending you a shipping label and box to send the laptop to their depot for repair. If you do not get a satisfactory response from the vendor please notify us of the details of your interaction immediately.
The vendor might also inquire if you have a custom image. They ask this because some issues are resolved by restoring the operating system. While technically the MCP laptops do have a custom image with regards to the RPI logo wallpaper, Office Suite and NX programs are installed and it is Windows Education, you can easily get this information back onto the laptop if the best solution is to restore the operating system. We will be happy to assist you with this if needed.
When contacting the vendor, you will receive a Incident/Case/Dispatch #. If they advise you to mail it in, they will mail you a box and shipping label. When you mail it, do not include the power supply unless the problem is with the power supply. IF at all possible please be sure to backup your data.
Removing Sensitive Data
RCR now has a degausser available for removing sensitive data from hard drives at the customer's request. Capable of removing data from PC hard drives in about 45 seconds, the machine degausses all standard hard drives and back-up tapes to render PC hard drives inoperative.
The degausser is also NATO authorized, meaning that the North Atlantic Treaty Organization has accepted the machine for security applications.
- Student hourly rate - $60.00 minimum (applied to total bill when repair is authorized)
- Departmental rate - $80.00 minimum (applied to total bill when repair is authorized)
- Parts - pricing varies
- Shipping and handling for parts are added to the total cost of the repair.
RCR has a pool of rental laptops available to students, faculty or staff to support the academic mission of the Institute. Please visit the laptop rental article for additional information and to submit a form to RCR to request a laptop rental.
Equipment Left Over 30 Days
Rensselaer Computer Repair makes every effort to contact owners of equipment. However, due to limited storage space, RCR will dispose of all equipment that is ready for pickup and is left over 30 days.
Recycle Your Dead Batteries
Please use the blue recycle bin at Rensselaer Computer Repair for the deposit of old dead batteries.
Warranty and Service & Support URLs
You can also submit an online Computer Repair request.