The Division of the Chief Information Officer has laptops available for rent to support the academic mission of the Institute. Laptops may be rented by Rensselaer departments or by individual students. The minimum rental period is one week and the maximum rental period is a single semester, such as fall, spring, or summer.
Department rentals will be charged against a Rensselaer budget account number. No sales tax will be charged. Departments may rent laptops and distribute them to students. In this case, the department assumes financial liability for the rental charges and the return of the laptops.
Student rental charges will be placed on the student's Rensselaer account. The student assumes financial liability for the rental charges, New York State sales tax, and the return of the laptop. Students with an MCP laptop are not charged.
Software on the laptop
- Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit
- Microsoft Office Professional 2016 suite, which includes Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and Access
- Laptops are wireless capable and connect to the RPI wireless network using standard RCS account authentication.
- An AC adapter is provided that needs to be returned with the laptop.
- Laptop models will be distributed as available.
- Renters may install additional software.
- Please be sure to backup any data. The hard drives on all rental laptops will be wiped clean shortly after the laptop is returned.
The minimum laptop rental charge is $35 for one week, with the rental week beginning on the day that the laptop is picked up. After the minimum fee of $35 and one week, the charge is pro-rated at $5/day.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If the laptop is not returned five days after the due date, an additional charge of $500 will be levied.
Requesting a Rental
- Online Form: Please Submit a request choosing Laptop Rental for Computer Repair Category - Laptop Rental Request (select one). A rental agreement will need to be signed at the time you pick up your laptop(s). Please allow 24 business hours from the time your form is submitted (up to 5 business days for multiple laptops). Laptop pickup will be at the Computer Repair Center located in the basement of the VCC. Hours of operation are Monday through Friday 8:30am to 4:00pm. When your laptop is ready for pickup, you will receive notification via e-mail on when you can pick it up.
If you still have questions, please contact the Help Desk staff by calling 518.276.7777, or submit a Support Request