On a Windows computer, when using Microsoft Office programs (such as Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) some windows for the Office app being used do not display correctly and are unreadable and/or the entire screen goes black. When using other programs, the symptoms do not appear.
1. Open any Microsoft Office program.
2. Click on the File tab in the upper left.
3. Select Options from the left navigation menu.
4. In the popup window, select Advanced from the left navigation menu.
5. Scroll down to the Display section and check the box to "Disable hardware graphics acceleration".
6. Click OK, close all Office applications, and restart.
The Office app software tries to manage hardware graphics acceleration instead of letting the Operating System and/or graphics card software handle it. Certain Dell monitors and Windows updates have been known to cause this condition.