On a Windows computer, when using Microsoft Office programs (such as Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) some windows for the Office app being used do not display correctly and are unreadable and/or the entire screen goes black. When using other programs, the symptoms do not appear.
- Open any Microsoft Office program.
- Click on the File tab in the upper left.
- Select Options from the left navigation menu.
- In the popup window, select Advanced from the left navigation menu.
- Scroll down to the Display section and check the box to "Disable hardware graphics acceleration".
- Click OK, close all Office applications, and restart.
The Office app software tries to manage hardware graphics acceleration instead of letting the Operating System and/or graphics card software handle it. Certain Dell monitors and Windows updates have been known to cause this condition.