Box has many useful features to assist in collaboration and communication, such as a central workspace to edit, review, and share files, make comments and assign tasks.
Sending an email to All Collaborators in a Folder
To update collaborators on new documents or to inform them on specifics regarding the folder, use the “Mail All” feature to send an email to the whole group.
- With a folder open, click ellipses (. . .) located in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Choose . . . More Actions
- Choose Manage Collaborators.
- Click the Mail All button.
- Type a Message.
- Click Send.
Comments are a great way for your collaborators to provide feedback, to notify others on updates to the file and for you to make notes to yourself.
Creating a Comment:
- With your document opened in Box, click the comment icon (three dots in a circle located on the bar to the right of the document.
[Comments icon highlighted in the bar to the left of the opened document]
- To send a comment to all the collaborators, just begin typing in the “Write a comment” area.
- To send a comment to a specific collaborator type, “@collaborators_name in the comment box found in the lower right corner of the box window.
- When the person’s name appears, click once on their name to select them.
NOTE: to add more than one name, type @ followed by the next collaborators name and so on.
- Type your comment
- Click “Post”
The comment appears along the right side of the document window in Box.
The collaborator receives an email letting them know that they have a comment regarding this specific document. All collaborators can see all comments and tasks within the documents.
[Comment windows highlighting a comment]
Example of the email a collaborator receives when a comment was added:
[Email indicating that a specific person made a comment on a file]
Instead of emailing back and forth to your collaborators, create a task in Box to keep assignments on track. Tasks will be located in one central area.
Adding a Task:
- With your document opened in Box, click the Add Task button located on the top right side of the document and choose a General or Approval Task
[Add Task dialog box with General Task and Approve Tasks options to select]
2. Select assigned people for the task, add a brief description of the task and a due date.
[Create General Task dialog box showing fields for Select Assignees, Message and Due Date]
3. Click “Create”
Tasks appear in the task activity screen on the right.
NOTE: Tasks can only be assigned to existing collaborators in a document.
[Task Activity area showing task communication]
Example of the email sent to the person who was assigned the task:
[Assigned Task email message content]
Example of the email you receive when the person completes the task:
[Completed Task email message content]
Viewing your Tasks
All your tasks can be viewed by clicking the task icon located in the upper right corner of the Box window and then choose “View All Tasks”
The Tasks Inbox shows all of your tasks and sent tasks. You can filter your tasks by: In Progress, Completed, Approved and Rejected.
[Tasks Inbox showing Filter by options]
Creating a Box Note
While in a folder, a Box note can be used to create, edit and share ideas in real-time with your collaborators. Box Note is a great way to communicate with those who have access to the folder.
- Open the folder where you want to create the new Box note.
- Click the Notes icon on the left navigation panel or New --> Box Note or New --> Box Notes from Template (choose a specific template that prepopulates with predefined content)
The Note windows opens on a separate browser tab.
- Begin typing your note.
- Close the tab at the top and the note saves.
The new note has been added to the folder.
NOTE: Your last note automatically saves when you create a new note or close the tab. Collaborators do not receive an email when a note is created.
The Note Name appears in alphabetical order in that folder. Click this Note to add more notes within the folder.
Example of an email the collaborators of a folder receive:
[Example of a title of a meeting not with a View A File button to choose to open the note in box]
Percipio Training Video:Creating a Box Note
Percipio Training Video: Using Box Notes