Whether you need forms for business, educational, or personal use, you follow the same steps to create a new form.
Create a Form
- Click the +New Form or +New Quiz button
- Click once on the title and type the name of the form. Add a description (optional)
As you begin to create your content you will see several options from the content toolbar such as: Choice, Text, Rating, Date, Ranking and Likert.
[A list of question options highlighted: Choice, Text, Rating, Date, Ranking and Likert]
|Choice Questions and Branching||
Allow for multiple choice answers.
2. Located in the bottom right that you can turn on, is the Multiple Answers Button to allow for participants to select multiple answers, or the Required Button to make the question required in the submission.
3. Click the three dots … to view more options.
Once the question has been created, click outside the question box to view the question with the options or click Add new and the question bar appears below to add more questions.
To Edit a question:
Edit the question and they click outside the question to view the changes.
Add branching option
Powerful feature of forms as this option can interactively change the questions a responder sees based on which answers they choose (used in multiple choice questions). Used to create interactive personalized experiences. Reference: scroll to “How to create a branching form” - https://www.businessinsider.com/guides/tech/microsoft-forms
Set the “path” you want the responder to take based on their answers to the question.
Used for short answer, however you can turn on Long Answer at the bottom right to allow for more than 4,000 words.
Choose dates from a calendar. Good to survey for availability.
Rank answers in order of their importance, chronological order, etc.
Used to engage attitudes or opinions on topics.
Participants can upload files from their computer to the quiz.
[File uploads screen showing file number limit and single file size limit with Add new button]
3. Select + Add option or Add “Other” as an option.
[Add option and Add other option highlighted and more options showing Shuffle options, Drop-down, Subtitle and Add branching highlighted]
Under … more options:
- Shuffle Options - Randomizes the order of answers that your participants will be selecting.
- Drop Down - Insert answers into a drop-down list, which is great for questions with lots of answer options.
[Drop down arrow highlighted on the insert answers for a drop-down list]
4. Click outside the question window and the full question with answers appears.
5. Select Preview located in the upper right of the Forms window and then choose Mobile to view the question on a mobile device.
[Mobile highlighted in the upper right corner of the preview window]
6. Click Back located in the middle of the top bar to go back to add more questions.
Adding a Style
To attract more attention, a Style can be added to a form. The Style button is located in the upper right corner of the form windows to the right of the Preview button.
[Style option highlighted]
- Choose a specific Style at the top portion and then choose Preview to see a start form page with date and time as well as a start now button.
[Specific style highlighted along with that style showing the date and time and start now button highlighted]
OR use the lower portion of the style window and choose,
- View all to view all the selections that include solid colors, to interactive backgrounds. These backgrounds have a start page with the same information as the style page.
[View all highlighted on the styles with solid colors and interactive backgrounds and a preview of the form after making a selection]
Forms Template Gallery
- Go to https://forms.microsoft.com/Pages/DesignPageV2.aspx?subpage=templatesall
- Click once on one of the templates and the template opens in your Forms window.
- Make changes to the form.