This document contains the instructions needed for adding a new monitoring test to RPI’s Checkmk system. If, for instance, you have a new server, or a new hard drive within that server, this document is the one to follow.
Note that, for best results, your server should have the Checkmk Agent installed to allow for in-depth monitoring of the server. Instructions for installing these agents can be found using the links to the left of this article.
To add a new server or test to Nagios, you’ll need to submit a support request in the ITSSC, as follows:
- Submit a new support request.
- Fill in your contact information.
- In the “Support Request Category” box, select “Server → Checkmk → Checkmk - Add Host/Service”.
- In the main information box, please provide:
- The name and IP address of the server.
- The basic function of the server (ex: “email server”).
- If the server is Linux-based, the version of systemd that is installed.
- What you want to have monitored and how often you want the test to occur. Please be specific.
- The thresholds for when alerts will be generated. For example, on a hard drive partition, you can request that warning-level alerts be generated when the partition is 50% full, with critical-level alerts being generated at 80%.
- A list of people (and their email addresses) that will be notified in the event of problems.
- In addition, if you have procedures that Operations can follow in the event of problems, please include a copy of those.
Once the ticket has been entered, it will be dealt with within three business days if at all possible.
Article is closed for comments.