Proper disposal of technology equipment. For security purposes, it is particularly important to properly dispose of devices with hard drives and batteries.
Devices that contain hard drives and batteries include desktop computers, laptops, servers:
- Submit a Support Request indicating what equipment you have to dispose of including type of device(s) and quantity. Submission of this Support Request acknowledges that you are agreeing to the destruction of any data on these devices.
- It is not necessary to remove the hard drives and batteries but these can also be accepted if they are removed.
- Make note of the request # and bring that information along with the devices to the Computer Repair Center located in the basement of the VCC. Make sure the devices have the request # referenced on them. Typically the repair center is available for walk-ins weekdays from 9am to 3pm ET. You may want to call ahead of time: 518.276.8178
- The repair center personnel will retain the devices in secure locations, remove hard drives and/or batteries and place them in the appropriate bins located in a secure location for proper disposal.
- Hard drives that can be degaussed at the repair center will be degaussed and put in the tech dumpster. Other hard drives will be collected by a vendor for data destruction and proper disposal.
Technical devices that do not include hard drives or batteries:
Other technical devices can be disposed of in the tech "dumpsters" that are located throughout the campus. This includes, but not limited to, docking stations, monitors, keyboards, mice, cables and power cords, laptops/desktops/servers with hard drives and batteries removed.
Locations and quantities of large corrugated cardboard boxes are:
- CBIS - (2) - Dock
- CII - (2) - Dock
- Cogswell - (1) - Dock
- DCC - (2) - Dock
- EMPAC - (1) - Dock
- JEC - (2) - Dock
- LINAC - (1) - Dock
- MRC - (1) - Dock
- Russell Sage Lab - (2) Tote bins - 2nd floor hallway by elevator
- VCC - (1) - basement outside of the elevator
- West Hall - (1) - Ground floor hallway
None at this time
Article is closed for comments.