This document outlines the standards for purchasing computers that you would like IT staff assistance with installing or in the event of hardware problems. These guidelines are designed to allow us to efficiently support the full lifecycle of equipment. From consultation, through purchase, use and the eventual retirement of the computer.
Computers that do not conform to these standards will be treated as unsupported hardware. This means that we will not install, troubleshoot or assist with the repair of hardware related failures. These typically include failure to power on, random reboots, device driver problems, physical damage, data loss, BSOD or other OS hardware stop messages, loud or hot systems. We will also be unable to provide as in depth of software support as we can on supported systems.
Laptops and Desktops
- “Standard” laptops and desktops should be selected from our approved systems list at CDWG. These computers should meet most user needs. (Note that these standard systems include the current years MCP offering)
- Our common vendors for non “Standard” systems
- Computers must be from a vendors business class product line
- Laptops - Lenovo, Dell, Apple
- Workstations - Lenovo, Dell, Silicon Mechanics
- Servers - Lenovo, Dell, Silicon Mechanics
- All computers should be purchased with a minimum 3 year warranty.
- Accidental damage protection should be purchased, it is included on the "Standard" systems
- Computers must be purchased as a completed unit, not component parts. The one exception to this is adding additional SATA hard drives to desktop computers.
- All computer purchases over $5000 are reviewed by DotCIO
- Where possible needs for servers should be met by using virtual or cloud servers
- Physical servers are appropriate for the following uses
- File servers larger than 100TB
- Compute (32+ Cores), Big Memory (384GB+) , GPU servers typically with price over $20,000
- Warranty of 7 years or max offered by the vendor
- Servers must contain a remote management controller (BMC/DRAC/IPMI/ETC) that allowed for remote power control and KVM
Notes and Exceptions
- Additional non OS SATA hard drives can be added to desktops
- Many GPU systems limit warranty length to 3 years
- We generally do not support closed loop liquid cooled systems.
- Specific computers from non-standard vendors that we will support
- Falcon - Tiki