Some Dell laptops, particularly after some windows updates, may need a driver update to active the headphone port or fix "No Audio Output Device Is Installed" error showing when trying to turn on or increase the volume.
- Open https://support.dell.com
- Enter the Service Tag for your Dell laptop. This can be found under the flap on the bottom of the laptop.
- Find and download the Realtek High Definition Audio Driver.
- Run the installer package.
- Click "Yes" on the User Account Control window to allow the application to make changes to your device.
- Click "Install" to install the new driver.
- Proceed through the installer which will uninstall the old driver and reinstall a new one.
- At the end of the installer you should reboot your laptop for the device to start functioning properly.
- Additional steps to fix No Audio Output Device is Installed:
- search device manager in windows search bar
- click on System devices
- Look for audio driver that has SST in it: Intel(R) Smart Sound Technology (Intel(R) SST) Audio Controller - right click and click on update driver
- Select "Brose my computer for driver software" and click Next
- Select let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer - click Next
- Select High Definition Audio Controller - click Next