- What is Box Sign?
- Logging into Box Sign
- Navigating the homepage
- The Requester – Sending a document for e-signature
- The Signer – Signer process
- Box Sign – Views (Sent/Search/Filter requests/Details)
What is Box Sign?
Box Sign is a secure, seamless way to get your documents signed electronically.
Box uses an e-signature provider called “SignRequest”
Box Sign needs to be enabled by your Box admin before you can start using this.
Once Box Sign is enabled, here is what you can do:
- Sign and/or request signatures on 40+ file formats and anyone can sign a document, even if they don’t have a Box account
- Identify who needs to sign the documents and choose the order in which people need to sign
- Include customized instructions or other important information in your request
- Add checkboxes in your request to confirm information
- Include additional security options such as password-protection for documents sent, and SMS-based signer verification
- Add text boxes in your request to gather additional information
- Track the status of each signature request you've sent
- Send automated and manual reminders to people who haven't yet signed the document
Logging into Box Sign
- Go to box.com
- Click continue and then type your RCS username/password and choose Login
- While at the Box “All Files” View, click Sign from the left navigation pane.
The Box Sign homepage appears.
Navigating the homepage
1 Box Sign – Click sign from the navigation pane to launch Box Sign
2 Sent Requests – See all your requests you sent to be signed
3 My Requests – See all of the requests that need your signature – the number to the
right indicates how many requests need to be reviewed.
4 Templates – Click to create a new request template or to access an existing template
5 New Request – A new windows launches to choose a file stored in Box or upload a new one to begin the e-signature process
6 Search Requests – Use to Search for a specific request
7 Filters – Select from 12 different request categories to filter on
8 Status – Shows the status of each request
9 View Details – Hover over any request and then click View Details to see more information about the request.
Sending a document for e-signature
To organize requests that need a signature, it would be best to create a folder in your Documents folder in Box. For example, you can name it “My Sign Requests”
Steps 1-4 below shows the basics on how to setup an e-signature for signing along with how to use other “optional” features, like adding a password, sending reminders and adding an email notification.
STEP 1: Upload or select a document to be signed
1. From the Sign homepage, click New Request.
2. Click the + located in the middle of the screen to choose a file from Box, or to upload a document from file explorer.
A new screen appears showing the title of your document.
3. Determine who needs to sign this document by selecting: Me, Me & Others, or Others.
[Select a destination folder screen showing Who needs to sign the document highlighting Only Me, Me & Others and Only Others to choose]
4. Click Select a destination folder under “Where should the request be saved?” to select the “My Sign Requests” folder or another folder where you want to save the requests.
5. Click Save to go back to the New Sign Request screen, then click Continue located in the upper right corner.
Your document appears and you can now add recipients.
STEP 2: Adding or modifying recipients
1. Under the Add a recipient start typing the name or email address of the recipient(s) that need to sign the document.
2. Select a Signing Order (optional) if this is needed.
3. Click once on a recipient’s name to modify their email address, role, require a password or to remove them altogether
[Recipients signing order]
STEP 3: Prepare the Request
Signatures and Fields
1. Drag and drop the fields listed and place them on the document.
[Arrows pointing to the Signature and Date Signed fields added to a document]
To add fields for another recipient:
NOTE: Each recipient has a designated color
[Three recipients with three different color icon to the left of their name]
2. Repeat step 1 and then click once in the Signature box and choose the next recipient from the list.
3. Keep dragging and dropping each field and choose the appropriate recipient according to their name until all the fields for each corresponding recipient have been added to the document.
Example: All three recipients below have their own Signature box and one has a date box.
[Three arrows showing how each recipients designated color matches the field color that was added to the document]
Adding an Email notification (optional)
1. Add a Subject.
2. Type a Message.
3. Move the slider to the right to select “Send automatic reminders” (Optional) If the recipient doesn’t sign the document on the day it was sent, Box will send the person a reminder after 7, 14, 30 and 90 days until the person signs the document.
[Email Notifications showing circles with numbers 1 for Subject, 2 for Message and 3 for Send automatic reminders]
- Set an expiration date (optional)
- Click once under “Expire after” and choose, 7, 14, 30 or 90 days.
- Set an expiration date (optional)
[Options screen showing Expires after list of selections to choose, Never, 7, 14, 30 or 90 days]
STEP 4: Send the Request
- Add a Password (optional)
[Require Password box with a blank Enter password line]
- Click Send Request.
The new request was added to the Sent Requests with the status “In Progress”
[Sent Requests screen showing the new request with the status "In Progress"]
Now that the document is out for signature, what steps does the signer take to review the document and sign.
NOTE: A signer does not need a Box account to sign a document.
A document can be signed:
- Any time, from any device – desktop or mobile
- By drawing with a mouse, finger, or stylus
- By typing your name and choosing one of the fonts shown
- By choosing a signature previously saved in your profile
Once the request is sent, the signer will receive an email that includes a “Review document” button.
Sign the Document
Example: Email signer receives
[Box screen with Review document button highlighted]
NOTE: Currently, documents sent for signature cannot be changed during the signing process. Senders will need to cancel and reissue the signature request.
1. Click Review document.
2. Follow the green arrows at the top and check the agreement box and then click Accept & Continue.
[Electronic agreement with an arrow pointing to By checking this box you: and with Accept & Continue button highlighted]
3. Scroll through the document until the green arrow appears. This arrow appears anywhere the signer needs to sign.
a. Signature – Type your name in the “Your Full Name” line or if your name appears below you can click on the font style and choose Adopt
[Signature screen with the cursor in the type your name field]
4. Once the document is signed, the arrow moves to the “Sign” button.
NOTE: During the signing process, the sender can see the progress by logging into Box and then go to Sign / Sent Requests / View Details for that request.
[Document details screen 1 showing pending request and sent status and detail screen 2 showing request viewed and completed status]
5. When all recipients have signed the document – the sender receives an email that states “Document has been completed” and has a link to the signed copy as well as a signing log link with additional information like IP address, email address, time stamp, hash code, signature and more.
[Document has been completed email]
Signing the document with a password
- Click "Review Document"
- Enter the password that was provided to you, and accept the electronic record and signature disclosure to continue.
- Scroll down the document until a green arrow appears - this will guide you through signing the document.
- Once signing is complete, the arrow guides them to the "Sign" button.
- Once your document has been signed by all signers, everyone receives an email that states, "Document signed."
a. This email includes a link to the signed copy and the signing log. The signing log has additional information regarding the signing process.
Box Sign - Views (Sent/Search/Filter requests/Details)
When you open Box sign, the sent requests view appears with request information in real-time, such as: Title/Sent/Last Updated and Status.
Use the search bar located in the upper right part of the interface to quickly locate a specific request.
[Highlighted Search box located in the upper right corner of the Sign screen]
The filter icon allows you to choose 6 different categories to filter your requests.
[Filter button highlighted]
The details view provides a summary of the document sent for e-signature.
[Details view showing, link to file, status updates, message notes, creation date and time]
Box Sign template
A template is a great way to save time if you consistently send the same document for signature. You can customize the fields like specifying recipients’ roles to modifying the email message.
Templates can be created by selecting “Templates” on the “Sign” home page or when saving a prepared document.
Creating a template from the "Sign" homepage
1. Click the Templates button.
[Sign homepage with Templates button highlighted]
2. Click the New Templates button in the upper right corner.
3. Click the “+” under Choose or Upload a Document and then select to choose a document from Box or upload a document.
[Choose or Upload a Document screen]
4. Locate the file and then click Select.
5. Click the Continue button in the upper right corner.
Customizing the template
When adding recipients, think about the titles of placeholders for the types of signers you will be sending this template to. Example: if you need a Vendor or Sales Rep to always sign the document and you do not know their name, you can use a generic place holder like, Vendor or Sales Rep for this specific document.
Placeholders can be modified by clicking once on the recipient, which opens the “Modify Recipient” page.
Adding a placeholder and setting up the document
1. Type the placeholder title in the “Add a recipient” line and press Enter.
[Vendor Sales Rep in the Add a recipient field as a placeholder]
The new placeholder is added.
2. Repeat step 1 until all placeholders are added.
[Recipients screen with 3 placeholders added]
3. Add settings such as: signatures & fields, signing order and email notifications and reminder (optional), which will carry over in future templates.
[Signature, Date Signed and Initial fields added to the document where the placeholders appear]
4. Click the Save Template button located in the upper right of the screen and the template has been added to the Templates view on the Box Sign homepage.
Using the Template
1. Move your mouse over the template and choose the Use Template button located to the right of the template.
[Use Template button highlighted from the templates screen]
2. Click the Continue button located in the upper right of the screen.
3. Click on each Recipient and add their email address.
4. Edit or make any other adjustments, like adding more fields and email notifications.
5. Click the Send Request
Creating a template from a prepared document
1. Organize your document with the necessary signers, fields, etc.
2. Click Options à Save as Template located at the bottom of the right navigation bar.
[Template options screen with Save As Template button highlighted]
This template has been added to the template page ready for you to use.