What is Box?
Box is a cloud file sharing services like Dropbox, Google Drive, or Microsoft OneDrive that provides end users with the ability to access files with any Internet-capable device from almost any location. Users can grant access privileges to other users as they see fit, allowing them to share files with coworkers, students, administrators, and colleagues around the world.
What does it cost?
Box is being offered to Rensselaer students, faculty, and staff, free of charge.
What are the features of Box?
- Online Storage (50 GB storage (can request more if needed), 15 GB max file size) — please see note about Shared Box space below.
- Secure File Sharing (Security & Privacy Details >>)
- Box Drive (easily access all your files that are in the cloud from your desktop)
- Permission Controls (allows you to control exactly who has access to your files)
- Version History
- Box Mobile App (access all your files from any of your devices)
- Multi-layered encryption
- Secure Box-hosted backup
Personal Box space versus Shared Box space
- Personal Box space is a solution for safe storage and easy accessibility to work-related documents that only you need access to or folders/files that you share periodically with certain individuals. If you leave RPI, your RPI Box account will be deleted and collaborators will lose access to information you have previously shared. Students, however, can convert their RPI box to a personal Box account. Refer to article: Taking Box @RPI With You
- Shared Box space is appropriate for an area where a department or group of individuals collaborate for a specific purpose. While the maximum file size is still 15 GB, the quota is unlimited and files stored in the shared space do not go against an individual's quota. The information is retained even if owners leave RPI and Box admins can adjust permissions if needed. Please review the article on Shared Box space for additional information: https://itssc.rpi.edu/hc/en-us/articles/360004771432-Box-RPI-Shared-Space
If you have additional questions on what is the most appropriate solution for your purpose, please do not hesitate to submit a Support Request with your inquiries.
Get started with Box:
- Registering as well as accessing Box after registration requires Multi-Factor authentication:
- An RPI Box account is not automatic. Whether setting up Box personal space or requesting a Shared Box space, you first need to Register by clicking on the link below:
Student, faculty, and staff can activate their accounts instantly.
- Registered users:
You must be registered with Box in order to log in.
- Get Box Apps:
Download a variety of Box apps for Windows, Mac, Android, & iOS.
For more details see our Box Security & Privacy page and article on Box applications available.