There are many features on the OneNote ribbon that you are probably familiar with from other Microsoft applications. Those that you may not be familiar with are described below.
Use tags to categorize and prioritize notes to easily mark what’s important, call out something you have questions on or assign action items for yourself and others. NOTE: Add a Checklist box/To Do tag (Ctrl + 1) and/or and Important (star) tag (Ctrl +2) quickly by highlighting a word(s) and choose the shortcut above.
- Move your cursor at the beginning of the line of text you want to tag.
- Click Tags from the Home tab and choose a tag. NOTE: You can add as many tags as necessary to the same item.
[A list of Tags icons and descriptions]
- To delete a tag, place your cursor at the beginning of the line of text you want to remove the tag and choose the same tag again from the Tags list.
[Three tags highlighted to the left of an item in a list]
Allows you to use the speech-to-text to create content with a microphone and an internet connection.
- Click the microphone icon or the Dictate icon from the Home tab.
- From the side panel on the right, choose the language.
- The dictate toolbar shows at the bottom of the screen.
- Before you start recording, you may want to review the Dictation Settings. Click the Settings icon from the toolbar. The settings allow you to change the language, test the microphone, enable auto-punctuation or filter sensitive phrases. Click Save.
[Dictation Settings with the Save button highlighted]
5. When you are ready to speak, click the microphone icon and begin speaking. Click the microphone icon again when you are done speaking, to stop the text from typing.
When the Feed pane opens, your recently edited notes appear. These notes are a combination of notes, page changes, and sticky notes (manually added notes in feed).
- With a Notebook opened on the screen, click Feed from the Home tab.
- The feed panel opens on the right showing recent notes, page changes and/or sticky notes.
Create and Edit a Quick Note (sticky note) in your feed
- Click + Add a note from the feed panel.
The panel changes to the new sticky note.
2. Begin typing your note. You can use the small text editor at the bottom of the note to make the note stand out. This note is automatically saved.
3. Click the three dots (. . .) or more options to change the color, copy to clipboard or to delete the note.
[Feed option showing a sticky note along with the change color option with a list of colors for the note to choose from]
Edit the Sticky Note
- With the feed panel open, click the sticky note you want to edit.
- Make your changes to the note.
- Click the back arrow located in the upper left of the sticky note to save the note.
NOTE: The sticky notes in your OneNote feed are also shown in a Notes folder in Outlook Web and in the Microsoft Sticky Notes app for Windows 10.
Quick Note options
- Right click on any note to open the note and then copy a link to the page or to remove the note from the list.
[Quick note options: Open in OneNote, Copy link to page or Remove from list]
- While in feed, click the filter icon and choose what type of note you want to filter on and only those notes appear in the feed panel.
[Filter options such as: All Notes, OneNote Pages, or Sticky Notes]