Instructions on how to connect an Apple TV to the rpi_wpa2 Wifi
- Apple TV (2nd/3rd/4th generation) running the latest iOS version (Make sure the Apple Tv is Updated!)
- Apple laptop running Mac OS X 10.7.x or later
- Apple Configurator software running the latest version
- Micro-USB cable
Note: Before proceeding, it is assumed that the computer used for this procedure has already successfully connected to Rensselaer's rpi_wpa2 WiFi network.
- Export the Radius Authentication Certificate from Keychain Access.
- Use Keychain's search box to find the Radiusauth.net.rpi.edu trust certificate.
- Export this file to your Desktop by clicking on File > Export items... from the top menu bar.
- Quit Keychain Access.
- Use Apple Configurator to set up a configuration profile
- Connect the Apple TV (ATV) to your computer with the micro-USB cable. Please also ensure that the ATV is connected to the internet, and power the unit on.
- Open the Apple Configurator app and click on the File tab on the top of the screen and select New Profile.
There are three sections of interest on the left side of the screen which require adjustment:
- General -- Provide the details relevant to your Apple TV.
- Certificates -- Add the Radius trust certificate that was previously exported from Keychain Access. To do this, click on the + icon, and then locate and add the certificate.
- Wi-Fi -- Update the following fields as follows:
- SSID: rpi_wpa2
- Auto Join: Check option to enable
- Security Type: WPA/WPA2 Enterprise
The "Enterprise Settings" section is divided into two sub-categories titled Protocols and Trust.
Under the Protocols tab, update the following fields as follows:
- Accepted EAP Types: PEAP
- Username: Enter your RCS userID
- Password: Enter your RCS password
Under the Trust tab, update the following two sections:
- Trusted Certificates -- Click to enable the check box for the Radius server certificate entry.
- Trusted Sever Certificate Names -- Click the + icon to add the Radiusauth.net.rpi.edu entry to this sub-section.
- Go to File tab on the top of the tool bar
- Click Save, then choose the destination where you would like to save the new profile to (ignore the error message that comes up when clicking Save)
- Select your Apple Tv in the Apple Configurator 2 app
- Click the green Add button on top left corner of the app
- Select Profiles
- A Prompt will come up, check the box for Apply to all profiles, then click Stop
On Apple TV go to Settings > General > Profiles
- Click on Install next to your new profile, should have to click Install 3 times
- You may be prompted to enter RCS password
- Now go back to Settings > Network >Wifi
- You should now be able to connect to rpi_wpa2