This procedure will help provide guidance for editing the power management settings in a device’s wireless adapter. The suggested settings below can improve issues with WiFi connection such as connectivity and speed.
1. In the windows search bar, type in “power & sleep settings”, then hit the Enter key.
[The words power & sleep settings is selected from the windows search bar]
2. A popup window will appear on your screen. Under Related settings (located near the right middle of the popup screen) click on the link, “Additional power settings”.
[Additional power settings is selected from the settings menu]
3. A new popup window titled Power Options will appear on your screen. Make sure Balanced is selected as the preferred plan. Click on the link “Change plan settings” that is associated with the Balanced preferred plan.
[Change plan settings is selected from the power options menu]
4. In the Edit Plans Settings window, click on the link, “Change advanced power settings” (located near the middle of the popup window).
[Change advanced power settings is selected from the edit plan settings menu]
5. A new popup window will appear on your screen with a list of power plans. Select “Wireless Adapter Settings” by clicking on the “+” icon to the left of it.
[Plus sign icon left of wireless adapter settings is selected from the additional settings menu]
6. Once you click on the “+” icon, you will then see Power Saving Mode appear below Wireless Adapter Settings. Click the “+” icon to the left of Power Saving Mode, which will reveal Settings underneath Power Saving Mode.
[Plus sign icon left of power saving mode associated with wireless adapter settings is selected from advanced settings menu]
7. Next to Settings, there is a link. Make sure that link is called, “Maximum Performance”. If it is not, click on the link, click on the dropdown arrow that will appear to the left of the link, and select “Maximum Performance” from the dropdown menu that will appear on your screen.
[Maximum Performance is selected from the power saving mode setting's popup menu]
NOTE: Laptops will have two settings associated with Power Saving Mode (Plugged In & On Battery). Make sure to change both settings to “Maximum Performance”.
8. Once you have selected Maximum Performance from the dropdown menu. Click the “Apply” button (near the bottom-right corner of the popup window, and then hit the “OK” button (near the bottom middle of the popup window. If you can’t apply your changes, please contact the Help Desk.
[Apply button and OK button are selected from the advanced settings menu]
9. After you’ve applied your changes, the power management settings in the wireless adapter will be changed to what you’ve specified. You have completed this procedure.
10.) If still having issues please reference the link below.
Last Reviewed: 1-Feb-2023