If Webex meetings are set to record to the cloud, and preferences are set to always produce a transcript, both the recording and transcript may be uploaded into MyMediasite in order to share a video with captions.
The transcript will be produced as a .vtt file (“Web Video Text Track” file, also known as WebVTT), a popular subtitle and caption file format.
Ensuring that Webex Preferences are Correctly Set
- Log in to the Webex portal at rensselaer.webex.com using your RCS ID and password through the Shibboleth login page.
- Select Preferences on the left-hand menu.
[The left-hand menu of the Rensselaer Webex portal, with an arrow highlighting the Preferences button, and a note to click to select.]
- Select the Recording tab to see your recording preferences.
[The Preferences menu, with an arrow pointing to the right-most item, Recording, and a note to click to select.]
- Ensure that Creating recording transcripts for all my MP4 recordings has been checked.
[Image shows the "Create recording transcripts for all my MP4 recordings" checkbox selected.]
When creating or starting your meeting, set it to record to the cloud. When the recording is available, the transcript will also be made available with the recording.
Downloading the Presentation and Transcript Files
- Select Recordings on the left-hand menu.
[The left-hand menu of the Rensselaer Webex portal page. An arrow points to the Recordings option with instructions to click to select.]
- Identify your presentation, then click on the download arrow to request a download of this recording and transcript file.
[The line for a recorded meeting in Webex. At the far right, an arrow points to the download icon with instructions to click to download.]
- Ensure both the video and transcript files are selected, then click the Download button.
[The download dialog box for recorded Webex meetings. An arrow and note highlight that both the MP4 and VTT file options should be selected. Another arrow points to the Download button with instructions to click to download.]
The files will be saved in your browser's default download folder. Once the download is complete, you may locate them and move them if needed, or use them from there.
Adding Your Presentation and Captions to MyMediasite
Ensure you know where the .mp4 and .vtt files you downloaded in the previous step are located.
- Navigate to the MyMediasite Portal and log in via Shibboleth with your RCS ID and password.
- If you have not already, upload the .mp4 file to MyMediasite as a new presentation. If you are unfamiliar with uploading presentations to MyMediasite, a resource has been linked below.
If you are just uploading the presentation now, you will need to wait for it to complete processing and be available before moving on to the next step. Edits made prior to completion may be lost.
- Locate the presentation you wish to upload the transcript to, and click on the name to open it. On the right-hand side of the page displayed, click Edit Details.
[The right hand menu of the MyMediasite presentation page, with an arrow pointing to Edit Details and instructing click to select.]
- Scroll down to the tabs below the video, and click the Delivery tab.
[The tab menu on the Edit Details page, with an arrow pointing to Delivery and instructing to click to select.]
- Click to select Audio Transcriptions then click to select Manually Upload an Audio Caption File. Click Select a File.
[The Audio Transcriptions section of the Delivery tab. Both Audio Transcriptions and Manually Upload an Audio Caption File are highlighted, with an arrow instructing to select both. Another arrow points to the Select a File button.]
- Using the dialog box shown, navigate to the location where you saved your .vtt file. Select it, then click Open.
[The file selection dialog box. The file location is highlighted, and the vtt file is selected. An arrow points to the Open button with instructions to click.]
- Now that your selections have been filled in, click Save to upload and process the transcript file.
[The very bottom of the Edit Details page in MyMediasite. An arrow points to the Save button with instructions to save settings in order to upload the VTT file.]
Viewers of your MyMediasite presentation will be able to click the CC (Close Captioning) button in order to view the transcript with the presentation.
[A playing Mediasite Presentation. Arrows point to the CC button and the available caption, with instructions to click to view captions.]
- Creating Content: Uploading a Pre-Recorded Video to Mediasite through the Web-Based MyMediasite Page