Parallels Desktop is a virtual desktop client that allows a user to install another Operating System onto their Mac as a virtual machine that runs inside MacOS. This document includes instructions for installing Parallels. There is a cost for Parallels.
Note: Parallels does use only half the RAM your machine has therefore minimum of 16gb RAM is recommended.
- Go to https://www.parallels.com to purchase the latest version of Parallels Desktop. Parallels does offer a student discount, which you can inquire about at https://verify.sheerid.com/parallels-student/
- Once you have finished downloading the Parallels installer, go to your Downloads folder and double-click on the Install Parallels Desktop.dmg file.
- The Parallels Desktop for Mac window will open. Double-click on the Install Parallels Desktop link to start the installation. Click Open when prompted.
- Enter your Mac's password when prompted.
- When you see the Install on Mac with Apple M1 Chip window click Continue.
- You now need to download a copy of Windows 11 on ARM. To do this, click on the How to download Windows 11 of ARM Insider Preview link and follow the instructions.
- Once you have Windows 11 downloaded, go back to the Install on Mac with Apple M1 Chip window and click Continue.
- In the Create New window, make sure the Install Windows or another OS button is highlighted and click Continue.
- In the Select Installation Image window, make sure the Windows 11 VHDX file is highlighted and click Continue. If you do not see the Windows 11 installer, click on Choose Manually to search for it.
- When asked how you will primarily use Windows, select Design and click Continue.
- Save the default Name and Location information by clicking Create.
- The virtual machine will now be created.
- Once you see Installation Complete, click in the virtual machine window to continue. This will place you into the virtual machine.
Parallels - https://www.parallels.com/
Article is closed for comments.