My Mediasite @ Rensselaer
My Mediasite is administered by Rensselaer’s MultiMedia Services,
a division of the Chief Information Officer (MMS.CIO).
Rensselaer Staff & Faculty. Students do not need a profile in order to view Mediasite video.
What is My Mediasite?
MultiMedia Services provides the Rensselaer community with video capture and hosting services via its enterprise webcasting platform: Mediasite. Registered Rensselaer faculty and staff can leverage various features of the Mediasite system through My Mediasite.
My Mediasite is a suite of tools which allows for the creation and curation of user-generated multimedia video content.
My Mediasite will enable you to take the reins, and control aspects of content capture and video streaming, which previously could only be attained through the on-site or active support of MultiMedia Services.
With My Mediasite you now have the ability to:
- Create new Mediasite recordings on your own computer
- Upload videos from various sources
(e.g., mobile devices, lab video cameras, webcam, etc.).
- Edit new and existing recordings: add slides, bookmarks, descriptions, and captions.
- Compile a library of video recordings to supplement course content.
- Distribute the videos to your students through your course LMS site and make them accessible via streaming or vodcast download.
- Access viewing statistics.
Getting Access to My Mediasite
- All Rensselaer Faculty are automatically granted access to use the base features of My Mediasite. Access to some advanced features may require manual registration via a support request; please select “Mediasite Support and Training” as the Multimedia Request category in order to request additional features of My Mediasite.
- Rensselaer Staff must be manually registered to have access to My Mediasite. Please submit a support request, and select “Mediasite Support and Training” as the Multimedia Request category in order to request access to My Mediasite.
- At this time, Rensselaer Students are not granted access to My Mediasite except in specific cases when requested by Staff or Faculty. The Staff or Faculty in charge of the project should submit a support request, select “Mediasite Support and Training” as the Multimedia Request category; please include all student information, including the expected length of the project, in order to request access to My Mediasite.
Setting Up Your My Mediasite Profile
Before you can begin working with My Mediasite you will need to set up your profile. Please review our step-by-step instructions to do so:
Adding Video to My Mediasite
There are two options you can employ to add video to My Mediasite. You may either install a Mediasite capture application, or you may use your own methods to record and edit video, then upload it after the fact.
After you have set up your profile, if you plan to use a Mediasite capture application, you will need to install the appropriate capture application for your system.
Mediasite Mosaic is the currently recommended capture application, available for Windows 10, or MacOS Catalina and later.
For earlier versions of MacOS, the Mediasite Desktop Recorder is currently supported, but not longer in development, and will be phased out by end of 2021.
Start capturing in two easy steps! [NOTE: Requires Mediasite login]
For the most up to date information about both Mosaic and the Mediasite Desktop Recorder, please see Sonic Foundry's article: Installing Mediasite Capture Apps
If you prefer to record using your own capture application or other video recording, you can Upload Video Via the My Mediasite Portal.
My Mediasite Help
The My Mediasite Help Guide (HTML) details all functions of the system. The guide is accessible from within the My Mediasite portal:
- Login to My Mediasite: https://mediasite.mms.rpi.edu/Mediasite5/MyMediasite
- Click “…” from the top menu
- Select Help from the drop-down choices
- Click the link for My Mediasite Guide, under “Documentation”
Staying Informed: System Maintenance and Outage Alerts
MultiMedia Services reserves a regular weekly maintenance window from 8am to 10am Eastern on Saturdays for Mediasite. During this time, it is possible that Mediasite services may experience minor outages or delays due to regularly scheduled maintenance.
If a standard maintenance window needs to be extended, or an irregular maintenance window needs to be scheduled, MultiMedia Services utilizes a mailing list to notify users. Notifications for these changes to the standard maintenance window will also be posted to the DotCIO announcements and sent through MorningMail.
Active users of My Mediasite are regularly added to the mailing list automatically, but there may be a delay between starting to use the service, and being added to the list. You may submit a support request, and select “Mediasite Support and Training” as the Multimedia Request category in order to request to be added, or you may subscribe to the mailing list yourself.
To subscribe to the mailing list, please log in to the Sympa lists interface, and request subscription to our list.
- Go to http://lists.rpi.edu.
- Select your Mailing List Domain from the choices on the left: lists.rpi.edu
- Click on the Login upper right then login with your RCS email address (firstname.lastname@example.org) and password.
- You can search for the mspilot list either alphabetically through the List of Lists tab or via the Search lists field.
- Click on the list name (email@example.com). In the left menu, select Subscribe.
The mailing list address is firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to add it to your contact list.
MultiMedia Services requests that all Mediasite users remain subscribed to the list and monitor it for updates. Messages are sent only for outage reminders, or notifications of updates and changes to the system.
Technical support is available by submitting a support request, and select “Mediasite Support and Training” as the Multimedia Request category. Please describe your issue or question in as detailed a manner as possible, and if available, include the following information:
- Your operating system (Windows or Mac, and version)
- Your location (on or off campus, within or outside of the US)
- Your browser, and whether you have tested in multiple browsers
- Your network connection (WiFi or wired)
All responses to support questions will be made within 1 business day.