My Mediasite @ Rensselaer
My Mediasite is administered by Rensselaer’s MultiMedia Services,
a division of the Chief Information Officer (MMS.CIO).
What is MyMediasite?
MultiMedia Services provides the Rensselaer community with video capture and hosting services via its enterprise webcasting platform: Mediasite. Registered Rensselaer faculty and staff can leverage various features of the Mediasite system through “My Mediasite.”
“My Mediasite” is a suite of tools which allows for the creation and curation of user- generated multimedia video content.
My Mediasite will enable you to take the reins and control aspects of content capture and video streaming, which previously could only be attained through the on-site or active support of MultiMedia Services. With My Mediasite you now have the ability to:
- Create new Mediasite recordings on your own computer
- Upload videos from various sources
(e.g., mobile devices, lab video cameras, webcam, etc.).
- Edit new and existing recordings: add slides, bookmarks and descriptions.
- Compile a library of video recordings to supplement course content.
- Distribute the videos to your students through your course LMS site.
- Access viewing statistics.
Setting Up Your MyMediasite Profile
Before you can begin working with MyMediasite you will need to set up your profile. Please review our step-by-step instructions to do so.
Installing the Mediasite Desktop Recorder (MDR)
The first step in recording and streaming your content is to install the Mediasite Desktop Recorder (MDR) using the instructions that follow:
- Log in to MyMediasite.
- In the upper right corner of My Mediasite, click the +Add Media
- A link to the MDR download page is in the green box; click download the Mediasite Desktop Recorder
- The MDR download page opens:
- The OS on which you are installing the software is automatically detected. If the incorrect platform is detected, click the link directly below the download button to select the correct software.
- The minimum system requirements required are listed. Ensure your computer or laptop meets these requirements BEFORE you download the software.
- Click Download for [platform].
- When you are prompted to save the Mediasite Desktop Recorder Setup.exe file, click Save File.
- After you download the software, navigate to the download location and launch the file to begin installation. Follow the prompts in the wizard to install the software
- Once the software is installed, return to the download page and click Register Mediasite Desktop Recorder. Registration sets up a connection between the installed software and your personal partition on the Mediasite server.
- Registration will force the MDR to launch. Operating instructions can be accessed in the Help file packaged with the software. Click on the “?” in the upper right.
The MyMediaste Help Guide (HTML) details all functions of the system. The guide is accessible from within the MyMediasite portal:
- Login to MyMediasite: https://mediasite.mms.rpi.edu/Mediasite5/MyMediasite
- Click “…” from the top menu
- Select Help from the drop-down choices
- Click the link for My Mediasite Guide, under “Documentation”
System Maintenance and Outage Alerts
Multimedia Services utilizes a mailing list to notify users of upcoming planned maintenance and outages, as well as emergency outages. Notifications of planned outages will also be posted to the DotCIO announcements and sent through MorningMail.
To subscribe to the mailing list, please log in to the Sympa lists interface, and request subscription to our list.
- Go to http://lists.rpi.edu.
- Select your Mailing List Domain from the choices on the left: lists.rpi.edu
- Click on the Login upper right then login with your RCS email address (firstname.lastname@example.org) and password.
- You can search for the mspilot list either alphabetically through the List of Lists tab or via the Search lists field.
- Click on the list name (email@example.com). In the left menu, select Subscribe.
The mailing list address is firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to add it to your contact list.
Technical support is available by contacting Rensselaer's Mediasite Help Desk at email@example.com. All responses to support questions will be made within 1 business day.